iPhone 6 concept iCulture Martin Hajek

Reuters is reporting that the displays for the next-generation iPhone could go into mass production as soon as May, with Japan Display, LG, and Sharp all said to be working on them. Previous reports indicated that the iPhone 6 would be available in two different sizes: 4.7 inches and 5.5 inches. According to today’s new report, however, the larger model could see delays of several months due to manufacturing difficulties.

Apple is expected to announce the iPhone 6 later this year.

The updated smartphone will run a new version of the company’s iconic iOS software that—as reported by 9to5Mac—will feature a new focus on health and fitness; better iCloud tools for developers; Preview and TextEdit companion applications; changes to Messages and Game Center; and improvements to the Maps application, including public transit directions and better 3D support.

21 Responses to “iPhone 6 displays could go into mass production next month, 5.5-inch model reportedly delayed”

1. I really don’t want Apple to make a phablet. Only the 4.7″ device please Apple.

2. Laughing_Boy48 says:

Do you know how many times Reuter’s has made claims that some Apple component or product is delayed? I really think they enjoy looking for negative news when it comes to Apple.

3. markroder says:

The Preview and Textedit rumours are highly doubtful. The very dodgy ‘lifted strait from the Mac’ icons aside, why include Textedit when iOS Pages is free to new device buyers? What would preview do, allow you to view and edit photos? (Photos already exists). View PDFs? (iBooks already exists). The desktop file / preview metaphor has no place on iOS.

• Mike Beasley says:

Well for one thing, those icons are only placeholders for development as many people have pointed out. Second, Preview opens and saves a wide range of files that aren’t compatible with any app on the iPhone. TextEdit would exist for the purpose of opening files saved in that app on the Mac, not editing.

As I understand it, these apps will function as viewers, not editors, so you can get to the files in your iCloud storage from a mobile device.

• PMZanetti says:

Mike pretty much sums it up, markroder.

The lack of ANY way to view or edit Preview and TextEdit documents that are stored in iCloud has been highly suspect for some time now. Sure, it works great for people with multiple personal Macs….but what microscopic % of users is that?

TextEdit would be great to have on iOS. Its an App that falls between Pages and Notes. Notes sucks, and Pages is too much for the quick documents I create through the day. While I work from my Mac, I open TextEdit documents all day long, as do many long time Mac users. I would really like to have basic text editor with some formatting capabilities, but is overall light weight and fast.

There is a reason why I (and many people) still use TextEdit a lot more than Pages for personal text documents, and I would love documents to viewable/editable in a stand alone App on iOS.

And Preview is even MORE useful. Preview is what I view, annotate, and edit all PDFs and most simple image files on the Mac. I have dozens of Preview files stored in iCloud. No way to view them on iOS currently. And iBooks? Are you kidding me? iBooks has always been terribly clunky, counter-intuitive, and all around useless way of handling PDFs on iOS. A Fast, light weight Preview App would make much more sense.

And honestly, anyone that does not understand that Apple puts placeholder icons on test versions of iOS so as not to give away the fancy icons that will ship (icons that are usually not finished until days before launch)…doesn’t belong commenting on the subject.

4. rogifan says:

So basically Reuters says there’s a delay on a product that probably never existed to begin with. Did people really think Apple was going to jump from a 4″ phone to a 5.5″ phablet? The same Apple that made a big deal about one handed use with your phone? People shouldn’t believe everything they read on rumor sites.

5. Tallest Skil says:

Yes, the model that was never going to exist in the first place was delayed.

Just like every single other Apple product that they were never going to make in the first place.

These people need fired and shot. Maybe not in that order.

6. Brad Burke says:

Did I miss a leak or is this just another mockup photo? It looks very real.

7. what’s this horrible mockup? Looks like something LG could have designed!

8. I have to say this is the first image of the iPhone 6 that I think looks good, It looks really really nice and premium. I don’t like rounded corners or designs like that because they kind of make them look cheap. The boxed corners really look good to me, fell free to disagree.

9. b9bot says:

They always like to claim Apple’s production will be filled with delays with just about every single product. I never see to much of it in reality at launch time. They may sell out but they always re-stock. It’s easy to write FUD on the web when you have no real facts to worry about. Let’s just see if there will be delays instead of claiming them even before the product is even announced, let alone shipped. Pre-production tests may have issues but that’s to be expected from new product assembly lines. But claiming regular production line delays before anything is announced I think is very premature.