Alongside the brand new iOS 8, Apple today unveiled OS X 10.10 Yosemite today at WWDC 2014. OS X Yosemite is by far the biggest change to OS X since its introduction itself, well over a decade ago. Of course, the biggest news here is the all new, iOS 7-inspired UI.

Above you’ll find a hands-on with the new software, taking a look at the new UI, feature set, and more. Stay tuned to 9to5Mac for more coverage of both OS X Yosemite and iOS 8 today and in the coming days.

45 Responses to “Hands-on with OS X Yosemite [Video]”

1. How to get this? i signed up beta but im not getting this :(

• You need to be an enrolled developer.
      By the way, it’s safe to say you SHOULD be a real developer if you want to install these, since they’re pretty unstable I guess.

• George Li says:

For now, you can get it if you have the developer account. I’m installing right now :)

• Tim Jr. says:

They allowed the first 1 million non-dev’s who sign up to get it as public beta. Though, especially Beta 1, I’d recommend you stay away until it’s more refined.. Defiantly not something you want installed on your daily driver.

2. Zoheb Khan says:

is this computable with MacBook Pro 13 mid 2012 ?

• Ian Wood says:

Taken from a post on macrumors:

Minium Specs:

” “•”iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)”
      “•”MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)”
      “•”MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)”
      “•”MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)” “•”Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)” “•”Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)” “•”Xserve (Early 2009)”

“•”At least 2 GB of RAM ”
      “•”At least 10 GB of available disk space (50 GB if you wish to use Caching Server)” “

3. Show us he Notes app, The Finder app…

4. Michel says:

iMovie, iPhoto and final cut pro X doesn’t work.

5. Has Apple established a list of compatible macs to run Yosemite yet? I have a late 2008 aluminum macbook that is running Mavericks perfectly, and I would like to know if I can update the software rather than the hardware. :)

6. Just installed the developer preview, Photo Booth appears to be missing and I received a prompt to optimize my Mac and battery after install, did you guys receive the same thing?

7. Is there anyone that wants to enroll my Mac like they sell all these udid registrations for iOS?

8. This thing is a hot mess. I really hope they don’t allow public access until they release a more stable build. I’m also disappointed with most of the graphics. The new finder icon looks terrible…

9. Ian Wood says:

Like the look of most of Yosemite, just think the Dock looks dated now :(

• Totally agree with you, it looks like if OS Yosemite entered a cartoon world!

• Nope looks streamlined and perfect

• nullifiedone says:

the dock is really the only complaint i’d have, i like the current style better, looks more polished. but the other 99% of Yosemite is gorgeous! i’ll get used to the dock, maybe it’ll get me to start putting it on the side of the screen again, better use of space that way anyway and the look is probably close to what it is now on the side. :P

• I disagree, I think the current dock looks dated. It tries to emulate a 3D effect and has fake lights and everything. The newer one is simpler and cleaner and I much prefer it. That’s why I preferred the 2D “side dock” option in previous OS’s.

10. I cent believe they’re letting iOS developers download it too. Looking forward to seeing what I can do with Swift.

11. So this is the biggest change since the OS release?? Really?

You mean bigger than when they switched the entire OS to 64 bit? Or when they switched the entire architecture from PowerPC to Intel and supported both for almost 3 years?? I can come up with a ton more if you want?.. Yes, I’m looking forward to it… But this is NOT the biggest OS change since the initial release of the OS. Yikes that’s hyperbole.

• acslater017 says:

You’re talking about architecture. Yosemite Is the single biggest user-facing/UI change in OS X’s history. Seem like two different ways of looking at it and a pointless thing to reconcile.

• Not the same kind of change you’re talking about. There is a HUGE difference between user-end change and architecture change/under-the-hood change. Nobody said it was the biggest architecture change.

12. I’m happy Apple has finally made iCloud into a halfway proper cloud storage service. But 5GB isn’t enough. And it still lacks other features that major cloud storage solutions offer like shared folders, undelete, and some others. For now I am going to stick with Copy. They give more free space than anyone (20GB if you sign up below).

13. I have been playing with Yosemite (Sam) for a while and I can’t find the dark theme mentioned in the Keynote…

14. I can’t use iMessage not open to me! Some one have a same problem?

15. Does OSX Yosemite Come With Mission Control And Dashboard

16. How do you fix the iMessage problem. All of my messages arn’t showing up….

17. Jason Samui says:

I have installed both OS X Yosemite and IOS 8, so far just a few missing features on Yosemite, iMessage won’t load. IOS only two apps are not working correctly, whatsapp and line. I noticed Facebook message the new design with the keyboard don’t fit well with Facebook, other than that no issues at all. All my other developer tools work correctly.

18. franknitty says:

My rule of thumb to avoid instability: never fool with beta/developer previews until GM releases. Problem solved

Liked by 1 person