With just about everyone in the tech industry getting in on the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge to raise awareness for ALS (including Apple’s own Tim Cook and Dr. Dre), Samsung decided it would also be an appropriate time to mock the iPhone and others in the process.

The latest video posted to Samsung’s Mobile UK YouTube channel shows its flagship Galaxy S5 smartphone taking the Ice Bucket Challenge and nominating the iPhone 5s, HTC One M8, and the Nokia Lumia 930. The S5, of course, comes with IP67 certification waterproofing features that lets the device be submerged in up to 3 feet of water for 30 minutes. The HTC One M8 and Nokia devices advertise water resistance features, but don’t include full-on waterproofing like the Galaxy S5. The iPhone, on the other hand, doesn’t include waterproofing features and that has been one of the differentiating features between the devices that Samsung has called attention to in ads before.

The feature was somewhat of a standout for the device when reviews first hit, and it continues to be something that attracts consumers to the S5 over other flagship devices.

Samsung said it released the video today in support of the Motor Disease Association and urges people to donate.

103 Responses to “Samsung mocks iPhone’s lack of waterproofing w/ Galaxy S5 ALS Ice Bucket Challenge video”

1. PMZanetti says:

Fads are the worst.

Liked by 2 people

2. nonyabiness says:

Gotta hand it to Sammy- They’ve had some pretty clever ads lately.

Liked by 2 people

• jrox16 says:

Funny thing though, iMore posted a youtube video showing the iPhone 5S taking the same challenge and easily passing it in response to Samsung’s silly ad. Once again, Samsung’s marketing is proved clueless. You don’t need to be waterproof to survive the ice bucket challenge.

Liked by 1 person

3. Its true tho. Apple does’t have any features or isn’t waterproof. I was in Wasaga beach here in Ontario & so many girls were scared to rop their iPhone’s in the water when taking selfies or pictures while in the lake.

I threw my phone in the lake so many times & took pictures under water. You wouldn’t believe how many people asked me what phone / how it was able to take pictures under water. Most had a iPhone / HTC one & some had blackberry.

Samsung is just saying the truth but in a different way which will make Apple fans hate Samsung when they are saying the truth.

Liked by 2 people

• nonyabiness says:

“Apple [iPhone] [...] isn’t waterproof.”

Fixed.

• iSRS says:

Huge Apple fan since ’83. This is a clever ad. That is a feature that they have that the other’s don’t. Nothing to rip on here. If I was around water enough, it would make me think. But have zero issue with a clearly true comparison pointing out how competing products lack that feature.

Liked by 1 person

• So you want to take the iphone to the beach for the day and use it underwater. The buy a damn lifeproof case and use that for the day.

It is rated to be submerged for 6.6′ for 1 hour.

Liked by 1 person

• Yes but why pay a extra $80+ tax on a waterproof case meanwhile phones and manufacturers are starting to put waterproofing in their devices? Hopefully Apple adds this on their devices too.

• Tim Jr. says:

yeah, nothing a Waterproof case can’t solve. Really, WP cases have around for decades for camera’s.. It’s more gimmick to me, since I’ve never had, not once, an issue with water and my iPhone.. lol

• whatyoutalkingboutwillis says:

Apple shouldn’t include cameras on their phones, instead people should just buy an attachment if they want to take photos.

Liked by 2 people

• Nick Santos says:

I’m an Apple fan. No doubts about that. But the true must be told: this is the first SameXung video that made me laugh. But again, true must be told: the Galaxy S5 is waterproof, but NOT WATER RESISTANT! That means you can use it with rain and bla bla bla, but you’re not supposed to just use it underwater. It will die! If you really want to use it you have to buy a case just like if you have an iPhone.

• PMZanetti says:

What is so great about being waterproof? Isn’t that just another word for idiot proof?

Pretty sad when “Don’t drop your phone in the water” is simply too much for people….we need a programming answer to that.

I had a chance to hold one of these awful Samsung phones that are allegedly water proof…what a piece of shit it is. Reminds me a Fischer Price toy immersion smart phone. The hardware alone was shockingly cheap and amateur. And of course, Android just ruins the experience from the first touch.

People that pretend that Android devices are in ANY WAY a suitable substitute for, or even comparable to, and iPhone are totally out to lunch.

I used to think it couldn’t possibly be that different…until I got to use a few Android devices, and realized it was even worse than I thought…worse than I could have ever imagined.

• jorge1170x says:

Talk about doing mental gymnastics to attempt to justify the glaring lack of a very handy feature. Even if you’re not clumsy, other people can be and can spill stuff onto your phone or cause you to drop it into say a sink or a toilet. Life happens and water resistance is something you’ll enjoy the day Apple ever catches up to it. And BTW Android gingerbread and earlier were pretty bad but Jelly Bean and newer are excellent OS’s – unless you’re a child or my grandmother, then yeah, iOS it is.

4. Cute Ad. I hope iPhone 6 comes with water proofing, so I can finally let it take the Ice Bucket Challenge.

5. LOL LOL water proof until the little plug fails or salt water gets in it but cute ad though. wonder why all samsung ads talk about iPhones

Liked by 1 person

6. this is a clever ad, but they’re always incredibly negative and disrespectful, I don’t want to buy products from a company that has been sued and lost over copying Apple and still mentions them on every single ad they make of their flagship phone and other products, the cool factor isn’t there, this is a smart, witty ad, but I didn’t enjoy it, why did they have to trash the competition? there is no need for this.

• Isn’t this the exact same thing Apple did with Microsoft long time ago for years? I do recall that Apple was bringing out commercials just like this for their mac line up disrespecting Microsoft & being negative towards them. Have people forgot about that?

• Yes it is similar. That’s your only argument. Also there was nothing disrespectful about how apple when about their adds. Also Apple never said anything. Negative about the customers. They compared actual facts. Samsung attacks the users not the company in most ads.

There is a difference between disrespect and negativity verses factual data

Liked by 1 person

• People should forget that because Apple isn’t exactly the same anymore. Tim Cook protects the company and culture that Steve made, inheriting his good parts but adding a but of fairness, charity and classiness to the game. I don’t believe Apple (as it is today) would make such ads. Let alone even in those dark times where Apple made these stupid Mac-PC ads, they were smarter and didn’t right away trash the other company or their products. Mac guy was even kind to PC guy.

• herb02135go says:

Lame.
      If you want to see Apple’s upcoming features get an S5.
      The difference is that Samsung ‘ s innovations work (unlike Siri, Maps and other Apple fails).

7. frankman91 says:

HAHA! Awesome ad!

8. I’ve owned every iPhone since the 3G and never had an issue. Does anyone else feel the need to dump a bucket of water over a phone these days?

• whatyoutalkingboutwillis says:

You’d be surprised by how many times I’ve had to dump a bucket of water on my phone

• cdmoore74 says:

Years ago my wife dropped her iPod touch into the toilet. Basically $200 down the drain. I read somewhere that this is one of the most common insurance claims. Having this feature is awesome so why not let Apple know that this is important? Many people use their phones around sinks, while on the toilet and at the beach. Hell; I’m typing this right now while taking a dump.

Liked by 1 person

• That’s why Apple started AppleCare+ over two years ago. Hey, you dropped your iDevice in the toilet, yeah that was dumb, but Apple will get you a brand new one at a fraction of the cost, i.e. new iPhone model retails at $649 without a carrier contract/subsidy, but Apple will give you a new device for $79. You drop your phone in the toilet, you deserve to pay a dumb ass tax, and I’ve had an iPhone since the 3G and have never dropped it in the toilet. I would also add, you want to take photos on the beach/shore, cool, but show me a single DSLR that has waterproofing tech. Tech companies are smart, agile, and typically listen to what the consumer market demands. This isn’t a standard as it is not yet a need. BTW, I watched the World Cup while floating on the lazy river at Disney World on my iPhone 5S with a Lifeproof Case just fine. Did I need to watch soccer while on vacation and sitting on an inflatable raft, nope, but you know what, there’s a case for that. In the meantime, we await the app that alerts you to tighten your grip on your phone before you drop your device in the toilet while taking a dump and posting to a website.

9. Clever Ad? Is no one going to point out how this ad is in complete poor taste? Yes, Samsung has a feature that the iPhone doesn’t have and that they didn’t copy or steal from Apple. But really? Taking advantage of the current ALS spotlight, and pointing it towards yourself instead, is in really poor taste if you ask me.

Liked by 4 people

• Everything Samsung does is in poor taste. Their death throes started last year and this year it’s become evident to anyone looking at their financials. They’re at the point now where their creative accounting can no longer hide the truth and no analyst can spin false numbers to prop them up.

They’re going to lose their number 1 Android spot and all relevance sooner rather than later. And that’s before any external company does anything to further that along, such as pulling supply contracts. They’ve been on a tightrope, for their sake they’d better hope there’s a net down below.

Liked by 2 people

• Ugh, you’re completely missing the point. Nobody gives a damn about Samsung’s financials, there is no global consequence to them copying the iPhone or not, not is there real consequence to everybody using macs instead of pcs. ALS has real consequences that far outreach the stupidity of this fanboy war and the fact that you guys are missing that entire point reflects badly upon the intelligence of not only tech fans, but us as consumers in general.

Liked by 1 person

• Even Samsung doesn’t care about the profitability of their phone business. It’s just a marketing wing to them. They make so much money selling chips and screens and refrigerators it doesn’t even matter. They’ll keep making phones just to have their name in another market.

• jas_ (@jas_) says:

indeed. if they happened to follow up this ad with a huge check to the ALS foundation i would cut them a little slack, but somehow i doubt that will be the case. poor form.

• herb02135go says:

No Jas.
        You would not cut Samsung any slack. If you had that much of an open mind you wouldn’t have posted what you did.

More fake rage from the Apple Corps.

• herb02135go says:

Samsung isn’t exploiting ALS. They are using a current humorous trend to show an area where they rise above the competition.

Take your fake rage elsewhere.

10. One proofing would be nice but it is not a deal breaker.

11. paul55br says:

Waterproofing is nice as long as the touch sensitivity/weight/design is not affected. With that said, I prefer my iPhone like I have it now.

Liked by 1 person

12. You’re kidding right? This ad is in poor taste, co-opting a well intentioned fad to raise awareness into a marketing campaign. Whether Samsung has waterproofing or apple doesn’t, this isn’t clever. It’s offensive.

Liked by 2 people

13. so, if the iPhone doesn’t complete the Ice Bucket Challenge then they make a donation to ALS.org, correct. Sounds like a good move Apple. Just donate money.

Liked by 2 people

14. rafalb177 says:

And that’s what their phones are for. Just flush them down the toilet. Shame on you again, Shamedung.

15. that was brilliant.

16. herb02135go says:

This is a great ad.
    It touches on a current fad that people are taking about.
    And it’s 100% accurate.

Hey fanboys! I hope you don’t wet yourselves in your rage. Remember: your phone IS NOT water resistant nor urine resistant.

My S5 has a larger screen and better battery life than ANY iphone I’ve owned.

I’m sure you will now attack me, while also criticizing Samsung for attacking iphobe users.

17. Samsung – water proof yes — but still a droid product … Yuck….

18. rahhbriley says:

Ya…but have they donated to ALS?

19. yuniverse7 says:

Nice to use the ALS for their own benefit, Samsung. Classy.

20. herb02135go says:

Underwater for an hour? So you can take selfies as you drown!

21. what’s up with the status bar changing?

22. I’m a staunch iPhone owner and have been ever since iPhone 4, but as far as snarky TV ads go, I’ll have to say that this one was actually pretty clever and funny. Credit where credit is due.

23. The video is a fake. At the start of the video the phone status bar clock says 2:16PM, the same as the main screen. After the water, it says 2:50pm, and is different from the main screen. Well, either it’s a fake or the water broke the clock…

24. mrhaineux says:

“Sandwich size” zipper-lock bag. Works great. Takes almost no space. Easy to buy wherever you go. Costs almost nothing.

25. luciofm says:

If you look closely, you will notice that this is an screenshot in fullscreen mode, and when the Ice cube touch the screen, it almost swipe to the next image in the gallery and also reveals the device status bar…

Nothing fake here, just lame…

26. Samsung: a company totally without integrity.

27. Just buy a waterproof case.

28. Shameless… maybe Samsung can use Cancer, Alzheimer’s, or some other disease in its next product ad.

29. t1mber says:

Clever idea, but it took a few replays for me to even understand what the heck it was saying towards the end. Maybe they can focus on voice fluidity now that the phone is “water resistant”…

30. Finally, a good Samsung commercial.

31. Laughing_Boy48 says:

I find it hard to understand why Apple with all of its money doesn’t have water- and dust-resistance as a standard feature on the iPhone. Would it really hurt their bottom line all that much for such a somewhat simple thing. One would think it would be a no-brainer for them to protect their high-end products from at least some water damage.

32. compumd says:

Have you noticed how the same video could be posted on 9to5Mac and 9to5Google but only one page fills the comments section with hate – worry much?

33. I have never, ever, ever, ever, never, never, ever, never used my iPhones near water. Not so important feature to me then.

34. Iphones are always problematic phones. If Iphones are made waterproof, then Apple customer centre can not make people fool by charging heavily on repairs. Even within guarantee period also they will tell that device is damaged as water got through, but most of the time that is not the case. They are cheating peoples on repairs and it is very certain that Apple will never make the IP ratings phones, as their service revenue will decline.

35. magu1 says:

I Wonder why samsung didnt put the sony experia on this ad????. wait i know, becuase they copied this feature from Sony . I Prefer iphone over any other phone on the market. And sony xperia over any other android. Samsung sucks, the battery is so lame that it makes you want to cry.