We don’t report every product news announcement that crosses our desk, but sometimes what we see catches our imagination, and today it’s Edovia who scoops the prize, with TouchPad 1.0 ($3.99) – and we’re interested because the app is a remote trackpad and keyboard package that lets you control any Mac remotely.
That’s right, you can use your iPhone or your iPod touch to remotely control you computer across a WiFi network. And because the software’s designed to emulate what you do with a normal touchpad, it’s going to be familiar to use, the developers promise.
We can imagine this will be an elegant solution for anyone using a Mac as a media centre, for schools, teachers and in other situations we can’t imagine…but what we like is the idea itself.
To the feature highlights:
* Super-easy setup
* Modifier keys (Ctrl, Option/Alt, Cmd, Shift)
* Tab, Esc keys included
* 1 finger, 2 finger and 3 finger gestures
* Vertical, horizontal scrolling
* Swipe left or right with 3 fingers (Back and Forward)
* Horizontal and vertical orientation supported
* Pad still works while keyboard is visible
* Easy to use Connection Manager
* Supports OS X 10.5 (Leopard), OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
* Windows and Linux NOT supported
* Connects through a WiFi connection and Bonjour
* Screen Sharing or VNC server required
* English keyboards supported
* iPhone, iPhone 3G, 3GS, iPod touch (1st & 2nd gen)