Hot on the heels of reports that claim Apple is gearing up to launch a new iPad model this fall, Digitimes reports that Apple will be adding a second manufacture to augment the tablet’s current manufacturing from Foxconn. Foxconn is currently Apple’s exclusive contractor for iPad 2 production and since the plant’s devastating incident in May and with a new tablet right around the corner, Apple is looking for a second manufacture to build their popular tablets.
According to the report, Apple’s second iPad manufacture will either be Pegatron or Quanta Computers. Pegatron, notably manufactures the Verizon iPhone and reportedly landed 15 million iPhone 5 orders for a fall release. Quanta manufactures some Macs and other Apple products. With Apple reportedly gearing up to launch a new iPad 2 model – dubbed iPad HD by This is my next – now is a perfect time for Apple to use more manufacturing power.
The ‘iPad HD’ is expected to be a professional-minded tablet from Apple with a 2048 x 1536 Retina Display. Artwork of this high resolution has already appeared in iOS 5 exclusive SDKframework files and has been a long-rumored feature for the tablet family. This new iPad is pegged at being another iPad model, not the iPad 3.
- Coretronic to become LED backlight provider for Apple’s iPad? (9to5mac.com)
- DigiTimes: iPad 3, iPhone 5 due in October (9to5mac.com)
- Apple to reportedly add second iPad manufacturer to meet ‘iPad HD’ demand this fall (9to5mac.com)
- Apple to ship 5 million iPad 2 units this month (9to5mac.com)
- iSuppli: Foxconn explosion could cost Apple half a million iPads (9to5mac.com)
- iPad is now 100,000 apps strong (9to5mac.com)