In addition to the big three (AT&T, Verizon Wireless and Sprint) as well as regional carrier C Spire which has begun selling iPhone 4S today, Apple’s new handset is now available from Claro Puerto Rico, the largest Puerto Rican telecommunications services company. The Guaynabo, Puerto Rico-headquartered wireless operator hosts a million US customers in Puerto Rico (yes, it is a U.S. territory, U.S. dollars, U.S. citizenry) which makes it slightly bigger than C-Spire by subscribers.
Claro is the largest mobile phone network in the Americas. It is part of the Mexican telecom group América Móvil which is one of the four largest mobile phone network operators in the world, with more than 200 million customers.
What’s interesting about their offering is that Claro will be offering the 16GB iPhone 4S for just $99.99 with a standard two-year contact, quite possibly the lowest subsidized price in the United States. The 16GB/32GB version is a $199/$299 value with a two-year contract. Customers can choose between four plans costing $64.98, $74.98, $79.98 and $84.98 a month. All plans include unlimited minutes and text messages and 250MB/2GB/5GB/unlimited data.
They are also offering no-contract iPhone 4S for $669.99/$769.99/$869.99 for the 16/32/64GB version, which is a $20 premium from Apple’s online store, which began accepting orders for the unlocked iPhone 4S this morning. Claro is offering both the 16GB iPhone 4S subsidized and non-subsidized beginning today, with 32GB and 64GB capacities “coming soon”.
Claro is also offering the 8GB iPhone 4 for $49.99 ($569.99 contract-free).
- Here’s why you can’t have Siri on iPhones prior to iPhone 4S (9to5mac.com)
- Confirmed: Sprint to have unlimited data plan for the iPhone 4S, 5GB data cap for hotspot (9to5mac.com)
- iPhone 4S sells out completely across U.S. carriers (9to5mac.com)
- What reception problems? Consumer Reports recommends iPhone 4S, but… (9to5mac.com)
- China Unicom drops 16/32GB iPhone 4, preps 8GB model as iPhone 4S pends regulatory approval (9to5mac.com)
- Apple already selling unlocked, contract-free iPhone 4S in the United States (9to5mac.com)
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.