Macrumors claimed to have obtained one of the screens floating around on the Internet from iPad 3 production. Putting it under a microscope, the publication indeed discovered it has 4 times the pixels as an iPad 2 or double the horizontal and double the vertical, which yields 2,048-by-1,536 pixels.
Physically, the purported iPad 3 display is the same size as the current iPad 1 and iPad 2 display at 9.7″ in diagonal, and looks quite similar to the naked eye.
However, when comparing the iPad 3 display to one from an iPad 2 under a microscope, the difference in resolutions becomes readily apparent, with the iPad 3 display’s pixels appearing to be one-quarter the size of those on the iPad 2.
- Leaked iPad 3 parts match, suggest Sharp-made Retina Display (9to5mac.com)
- High-res Sharp panel spotted, is it for iPad 3? (9to5mac.com)
- ChinaTimes: Apple said to have ordered 65 million 264PPI Retina displays from LG and Samsung for iPad 3 (9to5mac.com)
- Purported iPad 3 shells floating around China, here’s a very high-resolution image of the inside (9to5mac.com)
- WSJ: Verizon and AT&T to carry iPad 3 LTE (9to5mac.com)
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.