If you like your email app to be similar to Facebook/Twitter apps, the Sparrow for iPhone (and iPod touch) client is now available. It has not hit the United States, but it will be $2.99 when it lands. (Update: It is live.)
Although Sparrow’s desktop app has quite a following, I was not impressed…but I guess all the kids are doing it. I imagine the iOS app will be the same. The interface is more “fun” and intuitive, and it brings some new interface elements, such as sliding panels. The Verge offers a great in-depth look.
The application is a big deal for users of Gmail, because the iPhone finally has a decent Gmail experience.
A monster downside is that it does not support Push Notifications. Yes, an iPhone Email client without Push. It will be hard to get over that hurdle. Apple killed Sparrow’s use of Push mere weeks before it was to be released.
It also does not support POP accounts. You should be fine with iCloud, Gmail, Yahoo, AOL, and other IMAP services.
The full description is below and video from a younger reader below:
Sparrow is an iPhone mail client designed with love to provide you with an efficient and pleasant mailing experience. With its pane navigation, its new threading system and many new features, you’ll never look back.
Warning: Sparrow does not support POP accounts yet.
– Full IMAP support: Use your Gmail, Google Apps, iCloud, Yahoo, AOL, Mobile Me and custom IMAP accounts.
– Unified Inbox All your mails in a unique mailbox.
– Attachments Directly attach photos & images when composing a mail. No more cumbersome back and forth with your photo library.
– Up & down your conversations Swipe up of down on a message to navigate a conversation.
– Everything is a swipe away Swipe once to uncover your mailboxes, labels and folders. Swipe again to get to your account list.
– Faces Mail is much nicer with your friends’ profile pictures.
– Message swipe Star, add a label, archive or delete a conversation right away simply by swiping a message.
– Smart contacts Your most frequent contacts on top of the list.
– Quick mailbox switch Navigate between your inbox, unread and favorites by tapping/swiping the top bar.
– Mark all as read One click to rule them all. You can also press a message for a few seconds to mark it as read/unread.
– Thread view Tap the top bar in the conversation to quickly navigate all messages in a thread.
– Pull to refresh Finally, the simplest way to refresh comes to email.
– Priority Inbox support Automatically identify your important email and separates it out from everything else.
– Alias Have a pro and a private mail address? Use alias to keep things separated.
– Powerful search Local and remote search allow you to find the mail you’re looking for.
And many more features crafted with love to discover: – Quick sender switch in compose window – Mark all as read – Read/unread with a long press on a message cell – Reply all quick switch…
Coming in future versions – Localization – Landscape mode – Built-in browser – Send and Archive – Only show specific label/folder
Learn more about Sparrow for iPhone and Sparrow for Mac on: www.sprw.me
Follow us on Twitter @Sparrow
- Home Button Sticker 6-Pack for iPhone / iPad for $1 + free shipping (9to5toys.com)
- i.Sound AV Cable for iPhone / iPad for $18 + $2 s&h (9to5toys.com)
- It’s obvious now? The next iPhone is called…”the new iPhone” (9to5mac.com)
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.