Fortune relays Piper Jaffray/Gene Munster’s bullish prediction that Apple could reach a $1Trillion valuation in a few years by taking some its competitors’ value while also benefiting from increased tech investment and sales. The first point he illustrates (above) is that during the period where AAPL gained $400B in valuation (2008 to present), some of its key competitors lost the same amount in market cap. The second point is rationalized thusly:
We believe dollars invested in US technology companies will increase ~5% y/y on average for the next three years (CY12-CY14). By comparison, dollars invested in US tech companies were up 9% y/y in 2011. Therefore, the tech sector will add ~$390 billion in market cap through 2014. We assume Apple could capture half of this market cap (from 85% in the 4 years prior).Therefore, the tech sector will add ~$390 billion in market cap through 2014. We assume Apple could capture half of this market cap (from 85% in the 4 years prior).
Here’s a video from CNBC where Munster explains his world view: Apple and Samsung rule the mobile roost and companies like Nokia and RIM disappears into the ether.
Munster’s figures follow another report from yesterday by Topeka’s Brian White who first made the $1000 AAPL call…
“Apple fever is spreading like a wildfire around the world,” he wrote in Monday’s note to clients, his enthusiasm for the company undiminished, “and we see no end in sight.”
AAPL was up almost 30 points or over 5 percent yesterday and has set its Q2 2012 Earnings call for April 24.
- AAPL passes all-time high of $427 a share, market cap closes in on $400B (9to5mac.com)
- iPad 3 press invite and favorable market push AAPL toward half a trillion market cap (9to5mac.com)
- AAPL crosses 500 per share… for the first time (9to5mac.com)
- Morgan Stanley now pricing AAPL stock near a $1000 bull valuation on 2H LTE iPhone, enterprise and emerging markets (9to5mac.com)
- AAPL passes 10% of all of NASDAQ value as analysts target half a trillion dollar valuation (9to5mac.com)
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.