Belkin has announced four new products for its WeMo home automation range, with a focus on home security. You won’t be able to get your hands on them for a while, though: they aren’t set to go on sale until the second half of the year.
All four new products are sensors, capable of sending alerts to the WeMo app and triggering other WeMo devices such as switches, plug sockets and lightbulbs …
The four new devices are:
- Door/window magnetic sensor, triggered on opening
- Room motion sensor, a more sophisticated version of the existing movement sensor
- Alarm sensor, which monitors dumb alarm devices like smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Keychain sensor, designed to alert you when your kids leave or return to the home
A water monitor is also in development.
Belkin says the capabilities of the WeMo app will be extended to support the new products. For example, if you give your kids keychains, you’ll be able to set the app to alert you if they are not home by a certain time.
The company will likely have new competition by the time the new products are launched. Engadget reports that BeeWi, a company making wireless products in Europe, Canada and parts of South America, plans to bring a rival range of products to the US “in the next few months.” The company says its smart lightbulbs and temperature sensors will sell for $20-25 each.
9to5Mac’s CES 2015 coverage brought to you by:
The full press release can be read below …
CES is upon us! This morning WeMo will announce a new line of home sensors designed to make the entire home smarter, more intuitive and more contextually aware. Featuring a window and door sensor, personal keychain sensor, room motion sensor and alarm sensor, the new WeMo sensors enable users to monitor their homes from anywhere using a smartphone or tablet. Through the WeMo app, users can set schedules and receive alerts and notifications, as well as program the sensors as triggers to activate other WeMo devices.
- WeMo Door and Window Sensor (F7C038) A magnetic contact sensor that detects an open or closed state on any window or door in the home, the WeMo Door and Window Sensor allows users to check for unexpected entry into the home while away or even in a different room.
- WeMo Keychain Sensor (F7C039) The WeMo Keychain Sensor is a small fob designed to be placed on a keychain, collar or in a bag that lets users keep track of family members’ whereabouts based on the sensor’s connection to the WeMo Link.
- WeMo Alarm Sensor (F7C040) The WeMo Alarm sensor sits next to existing home alarms and notifies users if they are activated via a mobile alert.
- WeMo Room Motion Sensor (F7C041) The WeMo Room Motion Sensor is an infrared sensor that detects heat signatures for precise, room motion detection, even in large rooms and hallways.
- WeMo Water with Echo Technology (F7C042) WeMo Water with Echo Technology uses advanced machine learning algorithms to provide unprecedented insight into household water usage. From a single sensor attached at one point on the home’s plumbing system, WeMo Water monitors, analyzes and relays information about water consumption throughout the entire home.
The WeMo Sensors will be available in the second half of 2015; pricing is undetermined at this time. WeMo Water is currently in field trials and availability dates are unavailable at this time.