As promised, Apple has just released the iOS 8.4 software update featuring an all-new Music app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch to the public after testing with developers since mid-April. While it includes smaller changes throughout, the update primarily delivers an overhauled Music app with Apple Music (notice the new icon), its brand new subscription music streaming service, and Beats 1, its 24/7 live radio station that launches today.
In addition to the Apple Music service, non-subscribers will still notice a redesigned Music app an Up Next feature for managing current music playback and access to Apple’s Beats 1 streaming radio station. With Apple Music, iOS 8.4 includes artist activity and access to a streaming music catalog built-in to the Music app.
Beats Music subscribers can migrate their music libraries to Apple Music using the latest software version on iOS while Spotify and Rdio subscribers can try this unofficial workaround to migrate playlists.
Apple Music is available for free for three months in over 100 countries. United States pricing starts at $9.99/month for individual users then goes to $14.99/month for group plans through Family Sharing that include up to six users.
The update also includes a fix for the infamous ‘effective power’ iMessage bug discovered last month.
The iOS 8.4 release is available as an OTA software update within the Settings app on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, or through iTunes for devices with limited storage availability.
This update introduces Apple Music—a revolutionary music service, 24/7 global radio, and a way for fans to connect with their favorite artists—all included in the redesigned Music app. iOS 8.4 also includes improvements for iBooks and bug fixes.
- Become an Apple Music member to play from millions of songs in the Apple Music catalog, or keep them offline for playback later
- For You: Members can see playlist and album recommendations, handpicked by music experts
- New: Members can find the latest, greatest new music available – direct from our editors
- Radio: Tune in to music, interviews, and exclusive radio shows on Beats 1, play radio stations created by our editors or create your own from any artist or song
- Connect: See shared thoughts, photos, music, and videos from artists you follow, then join the conversation
- My Music: Play from all of your iTunes purchases, songs from Apple Music, and playlists in one place
- Completely redesigned music player that includes new features such as Recently Added, MiniPlayer, Up Next, and more
- iTunes Store: Still the best place to buy your favorite music—one song or album at a time.
- Availability and features may vary by country
iBooks improvements and fixes
- Browse, listen and download audiobooks from inside iBooks
- Enjoy the all-new Now Playing feature, designed specifically for audiobooks
- Books that are Made for iBooks now work on iPhone in addition to iPad
- Find and pre-order books in a series right from your library
- Improves accessibility of widgets, glossary and navigation in books made with iBooks Author
- New default Chinese font
- New setting to turn off Auto-Night theme in your library
- Resolves an issue that may have prevented Hide Purchases from working
- Resolves an issue that may have prevented downloading books from iCloud
Other improvements and bug fixes
- Fixes an issue where receiving a specific series of Unicode characters causes device to reboot
- Fixes an issue that prevented GPS accessories from providing location data
- Fixes an issue where deleted Apple Watch apps could re-install
For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website: