In this week’s top stories: iPhone 7 leaks, Apple invests in a Chinese Uber competitor, the UK shows off works to bring driving licenses to Apple Wallet, and we take a look at the state of jailbreaking for May, new apps, & much more. Head below for the usual handy roundup of links to all this week’s most shared stories and video.
The best 4K & 5K displays for Mac
We kick things off with the latest reports on iPhone 7, including a couple alleged leaks of CAD and design drawings of the device, and a report claiming Apple will adopt the rumored new dual camera system and 3GB of RAM across its entire 5.5-inch lineup.
And we also had some fun with the 9to5 community this week speculating on what headphones Apple might bundle with the iPhone 7. Wireless AirPods? Lightning EarPods? Beats?
- Claimed design sketch of iPhone 7 shows identical height & width to 6s
- What headphones will Apple bundle w/ iPhone 7?
- KGI: Apple’s full iPhone 7 Plus 5.5-inch lineup to adopt dual camera, 3GB of RAM
- iPhone 7 factory CAD shows camera bump, removed headphone jack, possible Smart Connector
- Community: Alleged iPhone 7 shows up in Instagram of guy who claims to be French Apple TV/Music Chief
Notable company news this week surrounded Apple’s reported $1 billion investment in Chinese Uber competitor Didi Chuxing, and work also broke regarding Foxconn’s plans to open a new $10 billion iPhone manufacturing plant in India.
- Apple invests $1 billion in Chinese Uber competitor Didi Chuxing
- Report: Foxconn set to open $10 billion iPhone manufacturing plant in India
- Microsoft now has more than 100 Apple Store clones, but no customers
- Apple granted patent for even smarter iPad cover, with built-in display & sketchpad
- Apple Watch health labs still operating 12 hours/day 6 days/week as Steve Jobs said to be inspiration
Next we we move on to new apps and updates, including Instagram’s redesign and a look at the UK’s work to bring driving licenses to iPhone via Apple’s Wallet app. We also got a look at the new ‘Viv’ personal assistant app from the original creators of Apple’s Siri, took Google’s new Gboard keyboard app for iPhone for a test drive, and told you about WhatsApp’s new desktop app for Mac users.
- UK shows off prototype of digital iPhone driving license using Apple’s Wallet app
- Siri creators officially show off ‘Viv,’ their powerful new personal assistant [Video]
- Instagram updated with all-new new icon + black & white design
- Google launches ‘Gboard’ keyboard for iPhone w/ search, GIFs, gesture typing, more
- Facebook-owned WhatsApp introduces desktop app for Mac users
- Security researcher Stefan Esser releases iPhone & iPad jailbreak detection tool in iOS App Store
- Opinion: Viv is exactly what Siri should have been by now
- Developer uses HomeKit to teach Siri how to control his Tesla – and you can do the same
- FileMaker 15 arrives w/ Touch ID support, new app extensions, & much more
- Apple News Format gains new features for publishers including custom cover images
iTunes | Apple Music
We recently explored an issue some users are experiencing with personal music files being deleted from iTunes. Apple this week acknowledged as much and said an iTunes update would attempt to address the problem, although a specific cause of the bug is still unknown.
- Apple acknowledges reports of personal music files being deleted, iTunes update coming…
- Report: Apple could shutdown iTunes music downloads in favor of Apple Music within two years
- Concept imagines a simplistic iTunes/Apple Music redesign for Mac [Gallery]
We finish off this week with our top video, Jeff’s state of jailbreaking with new tweaks you should try for May.
This week’s top video |
- The state of jailbreaking for May 2016 + 5 jailbreak tweaks you should know about [Video]
- Taylor Swift dances to The Darkness in latest Apple Music ad
- Review: Audio-Technica’s ATH-M50x closed-back studio monitor headphones
- How-To: Start dictation on your Mac via a voice command [Video]
- Neil Patrick Harris (and Siri) star in Apple’s new iPhone 6s ‘Thank You Speech’ ad