Apple today issued the third iOS 10 beta for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch for developer testing since WWDC 2016. iOS 10 brings a refreshed look to Apple Music and News plus loads of new features to the platform. The software update will be ready for everyone later this fall, and we’ll dig through the third developer version of the iOS 10 beta below.
If you’re already testing iOS 10 beta on your iPhone or iPad, head to the Software Update section of the Settings app to find the OTA update. If you’re a registered developer deciding to start testing iOS 10 with beta 3, head over to the Apple’s developer page to install the beta profile. For non-developers, Apple is currently testing iOS 10 through the public beta program which usually receives updates a couple of days after developers.
iOS 10 includes loads of new features and changes including redesigned Music and News apps, the first Home app for HomeKit, a redesigned Lock screen and Home screen experience for widgets, tons of iMessage features in Messages, and much more.
iOS 10 beta 2, which was released on July 5th, included loads of tweaks and changes compared to the initial beta released at WWDC. iOS 10 beta 3 will likely continue to tweak visual and functional elements throughout the experience ahead of its release this fall.
- Apple issues iOS 10 beta 2 for developers, here’s everything new
- 50 new iOS 10 beta 2 features [Video]
- Hands-on with Voicemail Transcription in iOS 10 beta 2 [Video]
- Hands-on: New iOS 10 beta 2 Bedtime Wake Up Sounds [Video]
Catch up on our full coverage with our iOS 10 guide. We’ll dig through the latest iOS 10 beta and update with notable changes. As always, shout in the comments, mention us on @9to5mac, or email email@example.com with changes you discover as well.
Here’s the update:
Here’s what’s new so far:
- Tweaked HomeKit Control Panel icon, ‘Accessories’ no longer truncated
- Apple Music: Downloaded Music replaces Downloads (again), is now optional again
- Updated Keyboard Click and Lock sounds from beta 1 have returned
- You can now opt-in to share Activity data with Apple
- Videos in Health are still placeholders, but text tag lines appear below each
- New ‘App Support’ section in Siri settings
- ‘Rest Finger to Open’ option in Accessibility settings now working reliably
- Replying to Messages from locked Lock screen bug is resolved, new Dismiss dialog when pulling down alerts
- Taptic feedback when iPhone manually locks
- Image picker in Messages no longer crops photos for square preview, easier to discern
- 3D Touch over a third-party app now includes app name (example: Share becomes Share Facebook)
- New typing indicator for Messages when sending GIF images from picker, Messages extensions much less buggy
- HomeKit setting now lists which devices act as hubs
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.