Apple has released the second iOS 11.1 beta for iPhone and iPad. iOS 11.1 beta 2 is expected to include hundreds of new emoji characters including “Woman with Headscarf, Bearded Person, Breastfeeding, Zombie” and plenty more following Apple’s preview last week.
We’ll also be looking for Apple Pay Cash which has recently been in testing as well as any other new features in the latest iOS 11.1 beta. The update is currently available for members of Apple’s developer program and is expected to be officially released in late October. Apple also has a free public beta program for non-developers.
Other new iOS 11 features coming in the future include AirPlay 2, Messages in iCloud, and the return of 3D Touch gestures for multitasking.
iOS 11.1 beta has also included a handful of small tweaks as we noted last month. Check out our hands-on video below for a quick tour:
We’re updating our iPhones and iPads to the latest beta so stay tuned for details on what’s new.
- 3D Touch gesture for multitasking returns
- Countdown sound for SOS now optional
- Release notes below:
Notes and Known Issues
• ContinuingfromabreakpointwhiledebugginganARSessionmayresultinVIObreaking. Any visual objects placed in the world/anchor are not visible. (31561202)
• Fixed an occasionally occurring issue with audio latency or distortion on iPad Pro (12.9- inch) (2nd generation) and iPad Pro (10.5-inch). (33844393)
- Stillcapturerequestsusingthe720p30videoformatwiththe depthDataDeliveryEnabled property of AVCapturePhotoSettings set to true now works correctly. (32060882)
- Depthvaluesinthenondefault160x120and160x90depthdataformatsnowreturnthe correct values. (32363942)
• When using the TrueDepth front-facing camera on iPhone X, setting the capture device’s activeFormat to a binned video format (see AVCaptureDeviceFormat isVideoBinned) for capture and enabling delivery of camera calibration data causes the resulting AVCameraCalibrationData to contain invalid information for the intrinsicMatrix property. (34200225)
Workaround: Select an alternate capture format whose isVideoBinned property is false.
Note: Configuring a capture session using a session preset never selects binned formats. Certificates
• Client certificate-based authentication now works for servers using TLS 1.0 and 1.1. (33948230)
• InitializinganEKCalendarChooserfromEventKitcanresultinanappcrash. (34608102)
• Storing data to a nondefault event store in EventKit may not work. (31335830) FileProvider
• Apps with a deployment target earlier than iOS 11 that subclass NSFileProviderExtension now work on versions of iOS prior to iOS 11. (34176623)
• NSURLSession and NSURLConnection now load URLs correctly when the system is configured with certain PAC files. (32883776)
Workaround: Use startSecureConnection to establish a secure connection. Location Services
• Data from an external GPS accessory is now accurately reported. (34324743)
• Silent push notifications are processed more frequently. (33278611)
• Some webmail clients don’t load correctly. (34826998)
- VNFaceLandmarkRegion2D is currently unavailable in Swift. (33191123)
- Facial landmarks identified by the Vision framework may flicker in temporal use cases such as video. (32406440)
• Debugging a disabled Messages extension may cause the Messages app to crash. (33657938)
Workaround: Enable the extension before starting the debug session.
• After a simulated iOS device starts up, it’s not possible to pull down the Lock screen. (33274699)
Workaround: Lock and unlock the simulated device and then reopen Home screen.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.