Workouts++ was released last year as an alternative to Apple’s own Workout app, offering a companion iOS application and more. Nearly a year later, developer David Smith has released version 2.0 of Workouts++, bringing all sorts of new features and changes…
Spigen TEKA RA200 Airpods Earhooks Cover
Version 2.0 of Workouts++ brings notable enhancements that help it better compete with, and even gain a leg-up on, Apple’s own Workout application. For instance, there’s support for Apple Watch-based podcast playback. This means you can play podcasts either locally or streaming over LTE on the Apple Watch Series 3.
There’s also integration with Siri, so you can now simply say “Start an Outdoor Walking workout in Workouts++” to start your workout. This integration with Siri helps ensure that Workouts ++ is no more difficult to use than Apple’s own Workout app.
Furthermore, Workouts++ now supports location tracking and mapping, as well as swimming workouts and display of VO2 Max values.
In addition to feature enhancements, Workouts++ also includes major interface changes. The app has been “redesigned from top to bottom” and includes a new custom workout configuration interface, a new workout detail display, and more.
Below is the full change log for Workouts++:
Workouts++ has been redesigned from top to bottom to take advantage of all the new features in watchOS 4. This update allows you to use your Apple Watch in a whole new way for your workouts. The update includes:
- Support for Apple Watch based podcast playback (either transferred to your Apple Watch or streamed over LTE [Streaming requires Series 3 LTE Apple Watch and cellular service])
- Support for Workout Location tracking and mapping of saved workout routes
- Support for Swimming workouts
- Siri integration (e.g. “Start Outdoor Walking workout in Workouts++”)
- Display of VO₂ Max values
- Redesigned custom workout configuration system
- Redesigned workout detail display
- Added Stopwatch, Elevation, Average pace/speed and Activity ring metrics for display during workout
- Added Distance and Duration Alerts
- Workout recovery in the event your battery runs flat during a workout
Workouts++ is available for free and is definitely worth a try if you’re a regular Apple Watch user. Let us know what you think of it down in the comments!