iOS dominating enterprise with 79% of mobile business use coming from iPhone and iPad

New research from the data protection and file sharing company, Egnyte, is shedding more light on iOS use in the enterprise market. While Apple is still a minor player when it come desktops in business, it has become the clear leader for mobile devices with iPhone and iPad. We’ve also got a look at the most popular devices from iOS, Android, to Surface.

Egnyte crunched the numbers on over 16 petabytes (1,600TB) of data from 2017-2018 to look at the latest trends of desktop and mobile computing in business. Microsoft is still dominating when it comes to desktops with 91% of business use coming from Windows, with the remaining 9% coming from macOS.

However, Apple is the clear leader when it comes to mobile use, with Egnyte’s data showing 79% coming from iOS, with almost 60% happening on iPhone.

As for the most used hardware looking at iOS, Android, and Surface devices, iPhone and iPad dominated the top five:

Egnyte notes that iPad Pro, iPhone 8, and iPhone X are all in the top 20. It makes sense though that Apple’s more affordable devices would be used more, particularly when businesses are upgrading devices more slowly than a consumer would for personal devices.

More good news for Apple is the growth of iOS in business since 2017. The report notes seven industries with over 50% growth of iOS use, with IT seeing an 82% increase.

Check out 9to5Mac on YouTube for more Apple news:

FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.

Check out 9to5Mac on YouTube for more Apple news:



iOS is Apple's mobile operating system that runs on iPhone and iPod touch. Historically, Apple releases a new iOS version once a year, the current version is iOS 13.


Apple's tablet debuted in 2010. Since the original version, it's expanded into multiple screen sizes and Pro and non-Pro options.


About the Author

Michael Potuck's favorite gear

Satechi USB-C Charger (4 ports)

Really useful USB-C + USB-A charger for home/work and travel.

Apple Leather MagSafe Wallet

My slim wallet of choice for iPhone 12