Just two days after releasing the first developer beta for iOS 12.1, Apple has now made its public beta of iOS 12.1 available, as well as tvOS 12.1. The latest betas comes with a few notable changes.
Note that the iOS 12.1 beta does not include restore images for the new iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max — something upgraders may want to consider before switching iPhones on Friday over an iCloud or iTunes backup.
After Group FaceTime was pulled from iOS 12, it has returned with the latest beta. For now, Apple only said that it would ship sometime “later this fall,” but it’s nice to see the feature back for developer and public beta testers.
As noted by Steve Troughton-Smith, other changes include landscape orientation for Face ID (could be iPad only) and support for clickable thumb sticks on MFi gamepads.
Face ID has support for landscape orientation (presumably for iPad only), and iOS 12.1 seems to care a lot more about whether an external display is connected (perhaps due to iPad USB-C rumors; it won't have the Lighting HDMI adapter as an intermediary for video-out)
— Steve Troughton-Smith (@stroughtonsmith) September 18, 2018
Full release notes below:
The iOS 12.1 beta SDK provides support for developing iOS apps for iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch devices running iOS 12.1. The SDK comes bundled with Xcode 10.1 available from the Apple Developer Program download page. For information on the compatibility requirements for Xcode 10.1, see Xcode Release Notes.
There are no notes or known issues for this software update.
New in iOS 12.1:
- Group FaceTime is back in beta
For more coverage on Apple’s software releases this week:
- Apple releases first iOS 12.1, watchOS 5.1, and tvOS 12.1 developer betas
- iOS 12 is now available with performance boosts, Screen Time, smarter notifications, much more
- watchOS 5 for Apple Watch now available with Podcasts and Walkie-Talkie apps, much more
- tvOS 12 now available for Apple TV 4 and Apple TV 4K, brings Dolby Atmos audio, screensaver updates, more
- HomePod update adds multiple timers, Find My iPhone, making and receiving phone calls, and more
- Shortcuts for iOS 12 now available on the App Store, replaces Workflow
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.