Even if you’ve got the latest Apple Watch, apps can still freeze up from time to time. With the process being notably different on watchOS compared to iOS, follow along for how to force quit Apple Watch apps.
Whoosh! Screen Cleaner
Force quitting an app on iPhone or iPad is as simple as closing out apps from the multitasker. While it looks similar, removing apps from the Dock on watchOS doesn’t actually force quit or close the apps, but just removes them from the most recently used list of apps.
If you’ve got an Apple Watch app that is frozen or keeps crashing on you unexpectedly, you’ll want to use the following steps to force quit it.
How to force quit Apple Watch apps
- Make sure you’re in the app you’d like to force quit
- Press and hold the side button until the power screen appears
- Now press and hold the Digital Crown
- When successful, you’ll see an animation of the app closing as it fades to the watch face
If you’re still having trouble, give a shot to restarting your Apple Watch. Finally, if that doesn’t fix it, Apple recommends checking for app updates.
For more help getting the most out of your Apple devices, check out our how to guide as well as the following articles:
- Apple Watch: How to enable Fall Detection
- How to use one handed keyboard with iPhone XS Max
- Apple Watch: How to turn off Haptic Crown
- iPhone & iPad: How to setup Bedtime on iOS and get more sleep
- How to view AirPods battery percentage from your Apple Watch
- How to get a refund for the App Store or iTunes
- How to get off the iOS public beta
- Apple Watch: How to sync audiobooks with Audible
- How to set up Apple TV, iPad, and HomePod as HomeKit hubs