Have you already purchased a Mac but now decided that you’d like to protect it with AppleCare? Keep reading for how to add the coverage to your Mac within
60 days one year of purchase, even if you didn’t buy it from Apple.
AppleCare coverage is offered when purchasing a Mac from Apple on its website and in stores, but you can also add it after the fact. Even if you didn’t purchase your Mac from Apple, you can extend your warranty to three years and add physical damage protection within the first year of your original purchase (Apple hasn’t updated its website and documents just yet but it’s now one year instead of 60 days).
Your Mac will need to be in normal working condition and not damaged to add AppleCare. We’ll cover three ways to add AppleCare below.
If you opt to add AppleCare online or by phone, be sure to have your serial number handy ( → About This Mac). AppleCare for Mac desktops starts at $99, while coverage for Mac notebooks starts at $249. Read more about AppleCare for Mac here.
How to add AppleCare to your Mac after purchase
- Head to Apple’s add AppleCare website
- Choose Mac desktops or Mac notebooks, then enter your serial number or sign in with your Apple ID
- Follow the prompts to purchase AppleCare within 60 days of buying your Mac (you’ll need to complete a remote diagnostic)
- Have proof of purchase available for your Mac
- Call Apple Support at 800.275.2273 (800.APL.CARE)
- Ask to add AppleCare to your Mac (you’ll need to complete a remote diagnostic)
- Head to an Apple Store with your Mac
- You’ll need to complete a visual inspection and have proof of purchase
Read more 9to5Mac tutorials:
- Hands-on with 250+ iOS 14 beta features and changes [Video]
- iOS 14: Here’s how to use the new iPhone home screen widgets
- iOS 14: How to do Picture in Picture video multitasking on iPhone
- iOS 14: How to watch 4K YouTube videos on iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV
- iOS 14: How the compact call interface works on iPhone
- Beta regrets? Here’s how to downgrade from iOS 14 to iOS 13
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.