It would seem that the Mac App Store, a central -but not exclusive- online repository for Mac software, has renewed the interest amongst game developers for the Mac platform. Perhaps it is the hype, maybe it is due to Apple’s marketing, or the iCloud allure, or lower app prices, or the sheer size and convenience of an Apple-branded distribution channel. Nevertheless, evidently, more triple-As have become available on the Mac these days – good news for gaming aficionados.
Firemint, the developer that previously ported its popular Flight Control onto the Mac, is bringing another smash iOS hit, Real Racing 2, to the Mac desktop. Available for $12.99 (non-U.S. users, follow this link), the 711MB download lets you enjoy high-definition racing powered by Firemint’s proprietary Mint3D engine.
You can also use your iPhone or iPad as a steering wheel. Firemint highlighted noteworthy features, such as the 16-car grid, Quick Race and Career modes, and 15 racing tracks. It also has a decent selection of 30 officially licensed cars, including the 2010 Ford Shelby Mustang GT500, 2010 Nissan GT-R (R35), 2012 McLaren MP4-12C and more.
In addition, Firemint recently updated the iPad version with native 1080p video output via AirPlay. It is discounted for a limited time from $10 to just 99 cents. More Mac gaming news is featured after the break.
Limbo is another great addition to your game library on the Mac. This atmospheric platform by indie Danish developer Playdead studios has sold a million copies on Microsoft’s Xbox 360, Sony’s PlayStation 3 and the PC as of Nov. 11. The game puts you in the shoes of a boy searching the afterworld to find his sister. It features challenging puzzles and all-grayscale graphics that will get you in the mood. Limbo is a $9.99 download on the Mac App Store and is available on Steam with a 50 percent discount valid until Jan. 2, 2012. Moreover, while we are at games, BioShock 2, another high-profile release, is set to arrive to the Mac in February 2012 – nearly two years following its launch on the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. According to Eurogamer, the game will be sold both as a digital download and boxed, and it is priced at $34.95. BioShock 2 requires at least a 2.0 GHz Intel Mac with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6.8 or later and 256MB of graphics memory.
Limbo for the Mac: System requirements
• Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6.0(Snow Leopard) or better
• Processor: Intel Mac
• System Memory: 1 GB RAM
• Graphics: OpenGL 2.0 compatible video card with 256 MB shared or dedicated RAM (ATI or NVIDIA)
• NOTE: Please be advised that LIMBO does not run on Macs produced in 2006-2008 that use Intel graphics solutions. The game does run on all Macs from 2009 onwards.
• Hard Drive: 150 MB
Real Racing 2 for the Mac
Take control of the wheel with your iPhone or iPad – or use your Mac to steer your way to first place!
• Test your racing prowess on a 16 car grid against highly skilled AI drivers.
• Select from 30 officially licensed cars including the 2010 Ford Shelby Mustang GT500, 2010 Nissan GT-R (R35), 2012 McLaren MP4-12C, and more!
• Work your way from rookie to pro in a robust Career Mode, offering 10 hours of racing enjoyment. Jump into a Quick Race for instant fun – or battle against the clock in Time Trial Mode.
• Race in 15 beautiful locations, with 40 miles of highly detailed race tracks, speedways and city circuits – including twilight and night races.
• Touch or tilt to steer with your iPhone, iPad – or Mac controls. This innovative control system lets you customize options to fit your personal driving style.
• Experience the intensity of head-to-head racing with 5 unique camera angles and breath-taking graphics powered by Firemint’s exclusive high performance Mint3D™ engine.
• Purchase Real Racing 2 currency to progress even faster!