Orkut, a Google-owned social network, has had little luck challenging MySpace, hi5, Tagged or Facebook —the undisputed social networking leader (some people even liken Orkut to a poor man’s Facebook). Nevertheless, Orkut is still popular in India and Brazil, where more than 80 percent of its 66 million active users come from, as of October 2011. Today, the search company released a native Orkut client for iPhone. It is available free of charge on the App Store and comes with the usual assortment of features, ranging from updating your status and checking your scraps and messages to browsing your friends’ profiles and uploading photographs. It is interesting that Google chose to release the app just as Facebook has finally managed to beat Orkut in Brazil, per latest comScore metrics.
Orkut for iOS
Your favorite social network just arrived to your iPhone or iPod! The official Orkut app for iOS connects you to your friends and family. Now you can send scraps, see your friends updates, upload photos and browse your friends albums anywhere you go. Never miss a conversation again because you are not in front of your computer: get the free Orkut app and stay connected.
- Update your status
- Check your scraps and messages
- Reply to your friends birthdays
- Check your friends updates
- Browse your friends profiles, scraps and photos
- Take new photos and upload them directly to your Orkut albums
- Share your life anywhere, anytime with the people you care about
- Google Search iOS app updated with overhauled iPad UI and full-screen mode for iPhone (9to5mac.com)
- Google Shopper for iPhone updated with local deals via Google Offers (9to5mac.com)