It appears the recent spec update to the MacBook Pros wasn’t as minor as we had originally thought. According to a leaked Apple repair guide for the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro, many internals including the SSD, I/O Board, Logic Board and even the bottom case have been updated to new parts. While it isn’t clear yet how the updated parts were changed (besides the obvious CPU speed), it reminded us of a Foxconn leak we got in October 2012:
1. The rmbp in production line D2 is identified as defected products as in terms of thermal heating and screen ghosting. P/S: Apple is not going to re-launch the 15” rmbp. Just that Apple will improve on the production technique in D2 line. Apple will launch the 13” rmbp. Ghosting and thermal issues will be fixed but internals and design will be similar to 15” rmbp.
Interestingly, the report also said that Retina MacBook Pro production would move, at least partially, to Mexico.
We also have the 2013 repair manual for the 13-inch MacBook Pro below that only shows 2013 updates to logic board (likely just for CPU updates) and how to tell which model of Retina MacBook Pro you have for both 13- and 15-inch varieties.
- Apple updates processors/drops prices on Retina MacBook Pros & 13-inch MacBook Air (9to5mac.com)
- Deal Alert: MacConnection drops 13″ Retina MacBook Pro to $1349 ($150 off) (9to5mac.com)
- Apple Store also drops prices of refurbished Retina MacBook Pros (now start at $1359) and MacBook Airs (9to5mac.com)
- Deal Alert: MacConnection drops Retina MacBook Pro 13″ to $1499 ($200 off) (9to5mac.com)
- Best Buy Retina MacBook Pro sale, up to $150 off w/ 13″ starting at $1,414 (9to5toys.com)
- MacBook Pro 2.6GHz 15″ Retina Laptop w/ AppleCare for $2,599 + $13 s&h (9to5toys.com)
- Apple MacBook Pro w/ Retina Display MC975LL/A 15.4″ i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD $2,015 + free shipping (Reg. $2,199) (9to5toys.com)
- Best Buy 2-Day Apple MacBook sale, Retina McBook Pros starting at $1,550 (9to5toys.com)
- Apple releases MacBook Pro firmware update 1.7 addressing rare battery issue (9to5mac.com)