1Password 4 launched last year to much fanfare as a major redesign of the most powerful password management software available. Today the app has been updated to version 4.5, which brings the biggest update to the app’s design since the 4.0 release.
With this update, the entire app has once again been redesigned completely, this time for compliance with iOS 7’s new look. You’ll still find the layout familiar, though some tweaks have been made to a few areas.
You can find a gallery of the new design below, but the new design isn’t the only thing you’ll find in 1Password 4.5. Also along for the ride is a set of new features that help complete parity with the Mac version and embrace newer iOS capabilities.
Perhaps the biggest addition in this release—though not one most people will need—is support for multiple vaults and shared vaults. Just like the Mac version, you can now store your passwords and other data in separate vaults on the iPhone and iPad.
Only one vault at a time can sync through iCloud, so the rest will need to use Dropbox to stay up-to-date. Thankfully, Dropbox syncing setup is fast and easy on both the Mac and iOS versions of the app.
Switching between vaults is accomplished through the app’s settings page, which means you’ll need to login to the primary vault before you can switch. Unfortunately, this may be a bit of a setback in certain use cases.
When multiple vaults came to the Mac version, it was promoted as a feature that could allow multiple users to manage their identities separately (or one person to manage home and work identities). To enable multi-user support on the Mac version, users can switch vaults from the menu bar without having to login to the primary vault.
On the iOS version, because you need to login to the primary vault to switch, everyone with a personal vault will need access to the primary master password—which, of course, allows them to utilize or modify the data in that vault.
Multi-vault support also enables a new type of demo mode. In previous versions, you could enable a special mode that pre-populated the app with demo data so you could demonstrate it to others without sharing your real login info. This feature now exists as a separate vault that you can add or delete at any time from within the settings.
Another feature that made the jump from the Mac to iOS is the ability to tag your saved items. Tagging works in tandem with folders to help you organize your data. Multiple tags can be added to each item, much like the labels in Gmail or tags in the Finder when running Mavericks.
Improvements have been made to Wi-Fi syncing and support for multiple Dropbox accounts has been added. The vault format has been changed to make the files smaller, saving iCloud and Dropbox storage space. The app itself is also smaller now, which saves on-device storage.
You can now share saved items to other devices using AirDrop, quickly search your vault using the new search bar in the Categories view, and the 1Browser now (finally!) has a loading progress indicator. Speaking of the in-app browser, you can now swipe left or right to go back or forward.
1Password 4.5 is a free update for anyone who already owns version 4 or higher. For users still on previous incarnations of the software, you can get 1Password 4 at the special sale price of $8.99, 50% off the regular price, from now until this Friday.
The full change log is below the gallery.
What’s New in Version 4.5
There are things that go bump in the night, like password reuse and the internet’s Heartbleed bug. The vastly redesigned 1Password for iOS is the thing that bumps back.
P.S. – We love hearing from you! Email us with feedback or questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1Password – The Reimagined Edition
• This ain’t just a new paint job and an air freshener. We rebuilt 1Password for speed and productivity, adding some of our best and most-requested features—all as a free update to existing version 4 owners.
• Note: iOS apps don’t actually support air fresheners (yet?).
• By very, very popular demand, Search is now always accessible at the top of the Categories tab and each main category (Logins, Secure Notes, etc.).
• AirDrop – Share items more conveniently, face-to-face.
• Our sharing menu is now a good iOS 7 citizen.
• iPhone item details for viewing and editing items are now 75-90% more viewtiful and edible. Wait, editable. Yeah.
• Nothing says “reimagined” like a brand new app icon.
Multiple & Shared Vault support
• If you create multiple vaults with 1Password 4 for Mac (Windows coming soon!), you can now add them to 1Password for iOS and switch between them in Settings. Great for securely sharing items with coworkers or family, or simply for your own organization!
• Demo Mode is dead, long live the new Demo Vault – We moved our popular Demo Mode feature to Settings > Vaults. You can add demo information as a secondary vault to show off 1Password to your friends without showing them all your personal information.
• Multiple Dropbox accounts – Have more than one Dropbox account? Great! You can now sync vaults shared via different Dropbox accounts.
1Browser is better than ever
Our built-in browser is faster and more powerful, making it even easier to login, checkout, and fill forms with a single tap. Plus, the list of apps that support 1Password now includes everything from newsreaders, to finance managers, and even a beer diary!
• One AutoFill to rule them all – Logins, Identities, and Credit Cards are all under the same button in 1Browser, similar to 1Password mini on the Mac!
• 1Browser now prompts the user to allow it to open non-http and non-https URLs, such as FaceTime call prompts.
• Swipe it to the left, swipe it to the right. *Ahem*, to go back and forward in 1Browser, that is.
• The 1Browser tab view got a facelift.
• Awesome Little Circular Progress Indicator in 1Browser – For your page loading pleasure.
Keep It Together
• Now supporting custom item images added via 1Password 4 for Mac.
• Improvements and bug fixes in WiFi sync.
• The iPhone might get bigger soon, but the size of your data file sure isn’t! In fact, we made it much smaller, which makes sync much faster.
• The ‘Folders’ tab on iPhone is now called ‘Organize’ because…
• Tags join the party – Any tags you add to items in 1Password for Mac and Windows now appear next to your folders on iOS! Tag on.
• Si vostè està llegint aquest missatge, significa 1Password ha estat traduïda al català! (localization for our Catalan customers!)
• Speaking of languages, you can now change 1Password’s language settings in-app.
• New user setup process is new – We made it even easier and clearer to get started with 1Password.
• For those upgrading from 1Password 3 for iOS, the import process is much improved.
• 1Password is now 34% smaller – if you’ve been short 8.6MB of space on your device, we got you covered!