upload

Apple has started sending out OS X Yosemite builds for Beta Program, as announced yesterday. The build is being sent out to a million Beta Program members. Participants can get a redemption code from the site, to redeem in the Mac App Store.

Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 11.18.16 AM

Apple has said that Apple will not update the Beta Program Yosemite builds as often as the developer seeds (which come out every two weeks, usually), but participants will be able to upgrade to the final public version of Yosemite seamlessly through the App Store, when it is released.  The seed released in the beta program is one build newer than the one released to developers on Monday.

Beta Program participants can leave feedback through the Feedback Assistant. Unfortunately, some of Yosemite’s tentpole features will not be available for evaluation as they require integration with iOS 8, which remains closed off to anyone but developers. Although the stability of seeds has been improving, a beta is a ‘beta’ for a reason and Beta Program members are not advised not to install it on their primary machine.

There are a few known issues with this build, that participants should be aware of.

Known Issues

Safari may hang when playing certain Netflix content.
iPhoto 9.5.1 and Aperture 3.5.1 are required on OS X Yosemite. Update to these versions from the Mac App Store.
When entering edit mode in iPhoto, a black screen may be displayed instead of the selected photo.
Photo Stream and iCloud Photo Sharing may not function properly when both iPhoto and Aperture are installed.
The shared purchase history page on the Mac App Store is disabled for Family Sharing accounts.
iCloud Drive may appear empty in the Finder after first time setup. Restart to resolve this problem.
AirDrop may not show nearby Macs.
Sending files to another Mac using AirDrop may not work.

140 Responses to “Apple releases OS X Yosemite Public Beta”

1. I’m curious to see how many people will take the plunge.

2. fcoramirez says:

I’m enrolled but haven’t received any information from Apple. I guess I have to wait a bit longer or maybe there are more than a million members in the program. Either way, looking forward to my redemption code

3. Michael Mort says:

I haven’t received my redemption code yet, and I signed up for Yosemite beta on the day of the keynote :/

• Michael Mort says:

Okay I got the code to work in the app store and it’s downloading now, but when I was on the Beta site, it was in Chinese/Japanese/Korean…. I don’t know why….

• Tobbish says:

I had this problem on my iMac too, at least with the Feedback Assistant. I haven’t checked if there more of it, but at least in the Feedback Assistant I managed to fix it by go to the Feedback Assistant Preferences (the second option in the main menu), in that window there is a dropdown-list and there the languages should be in english. Choose english and restart the app and it will start alright.

I’m going to look if it’s affecting anything else. I still notice that the Feedback Assistant has a korean/whatever name when I rollover the icon, but otherwise it seems to work properly!

• I have a Dutch installation and because this is not supported in Yosemite it shows another language in this case Japanese (I think) in Feedback Assistant.

I tried the solution Tobbish wrote and that worked partially. The title still was in Japanese(?) and other third party software like Pixelmator had the same problem.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Solution: select English as preferred language and delete all languages one can’t read/use. (Chinese, Japanes, Taiwanese, Russian, etc)

Restart and all is normal in English.
        Choose Dutch again and make sure that English is the second language under Dutch.
        Restart and all is Dutch, all but the things Yosemite does’nt support (like third party programs). These are shown in English.

• khaledzeidiyeh says:

Problems already!

4. PMZanetti says:

One build newer than Monday….that is gonna irritate me…LOL

5. I get “This code has already been redeemed” when I try mine… Very weird.

6. I can’t download. When I click on provided link, it redirect me to Mac AppStore, however it says the code is already redeemed! How is it possible?

7. The weird thing that i keep getting “This code has been already redeemed”

8. It’s good. But it require 8 GB to install.

9. It’s only a redemption code in Mac AppStore

10. I just started downloading it now. If you didn’t get an email or anything, go to https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/ and at the bottom of the page will be a button to get the beta.

11. I’m sure i would’ve gottten into the 1st million but i haven’t got an email yet :\

• Denis Ushli says:

Loggin into the OS X Yosemite Beta Program estou get the code. However the code generated for me did no work. It says that it was already used. Probably the number of download has already reached 1M.

• bystrzan says:

What’s in Your purchased tab in app store.app?
        I had the same issue, but then I went to this tab in app… voila! There is my Yosemite with progress bar.

12. Denis Ushli says:

I have just tried to downloading the Yosemite but a message says that the Redemption code generated for mi was already used.

13. keep getting his code has been already redeemed”

14. Zac Hall says:

ANM3XTHKPET7

15. Guys, for this to work, you have to go to Apple’s website, go to the OSX Yosemite page, go to the bottom to go to the test sign up page then log in on that page and go from there

16. It’s only for 1st million signup

17. If you check your downloads on the app store you might find it already downloading.

Has seen anything about making a new partition for this when you already have a bootcamp partition. I read that you can no longer boot into windows bootcamp after you install this way.

18. still can’t get in

19. Just go to the beta program website where you signed up in the first place, don’t wait for the email. Just sign in and follow the instructions!

20. mine didn’t work at first but luckily i’d gotten my girlfriend to signup when it was released so I tried using her code she was sent and now it’s working :)

21. curious if this beta will pop up as an update for people running DP4 like me..

• jauntee says:

no, DP is more feature enabled than Public Beta. I stuck with DP4

• jauntee says:

also note the DP4 does not have feedback assistant. I didn’t enable cloud Drive and I’m noticing any changes in my pages documents on DP4 will not be saved to iCloud, but changes made on Maverick or on iOS eight on my iPhone and Pages will show up on DP4

22. Still not working…shows that the code is already used.

23. My code isn’t working either. Man, I was looking forward to that all week and now it is not working. :/

24. My code didn’t work at all. But then I logged out and logged in with a different Apple ID, one I didn’t sign up before and the code I received worked.

25. My download keeps on stopping and resetting. Am now on my third or fourth go around.

26. My download keeps erroring out; I get a few 100MB’s (or even up to 2GB) downloaded, then the download restarts itself and eventually produces an error massage saying there was a problem with the download :(

Oh well, it’s probably due to the large volume of people downloading right now; I’ll give it time but hopefully it smooths out soon :/

27. When are they going to update the icloud drive pricing?

28. Downloaded and installing on my iMac & MacBook Air…..

29. My redemption code is not working what should I do?

30. Site is down
    We’re busy updating the site and we’ll be back soon

31. Desai Hiren says:

i didnt get email yet

32. If it says CODE REDEEMED, Go into the PURCHASED portion of the App Store (mac) and you will see the download link. Been trying for an hour to download but it fails every time so far as it reaches the 5.07GB

33. I get the “We’ll be back. We’re busy updating the site and will be back soon.” message when I try and go to the site to login and download the beta.

34. doesnt say purchased on my computer.

35. Will it be possible to run Windows (BootCamp) after installing this beta?

36. Mine authorized just fine and I’ve been using it. I was already using the Developers preview before this, this is much more stable than the last DP

37. haha apples servers are going bananas. “site is under heavy load” got mine to start downloading now…

38. Nick Kisner says:

Mine installed and is running with 0 problems. It was so easy and I love seamless installs. iTunes updated to v. 12 right after my install. Everything is perfect.

39. Hi, I installed the Yosemite Beta, but what some app that ask me to log in (it has an icon with exclamation mark) is in Japanese – which I don’t understand, so don’t dare to log in or do anything with that. Can I change the language on that specific app somehow?

40. ho, no don’t do it!
    just stay with mavericks something like forever, you’ll gonna be sorry for it like iOS 7

41. I logged out in my beta program and sign in again, i receive a new code and i can download the beta.

42. Hey is there a way we can do a partition on the mac and install OS X Yosemite on it since its just a beta? I don’t really wanna give away Mavericks due to its perfect stability until the Final release.

43. i didn’t get my code so far it seems i m far away from apple store lol

44. Can anyone tell me if microsoft office is working with yosemite beta? only really apps i need…

45. Just to let you all know that my redeem issue is fixed right after the website came back online. Download has started.

46. i haven’t received it yet :( did anyone receive it

47. Phil Jones says:

I downloaded and ran the beta program with no problem. It kicks me right over to the App Store Update page just like it should. Then it thinks for a while and tells me there are no updates available. What??? What am I doing wrong?

48. For those that are running it, how is the stability? Is it awful, or even better than Mavericks?

49. “OS X Yosemite Beta 1 failed to download” <—- I get this error. Is there some solution for this?

50. rettun1 says:

Do I REALLY need to put it on another machine/hard drive? I know there is risk involved, but I feel like it’d be fine…

51. Does it have any difference from Developer Preview 4?

52. do i have to make a backup if i want to install yosemite ?

53. For anyone who is still having issues with downloading the beta, try “leaving the program.” There is a little button at the bottom that you can click, then re-register and it generates a new code. Mine has been giving me the error message since 6 O’CLOCK!!! Now it’s downloading again, hopefully it works this time.

54. Big Problem… Outlook for Mac 2011 broken on Yosemite Public Beta.
    It launches without a Home Screen!
    Menu Items operate but can’t see any emails, calendar, contacts etc.

55. Idiots are not compatible with beta’s

56. Alex Lim says:

Redeemed for it. But after downloading for like 300mb of it, its either error downloading or it restart download start from 0mb. Have been repeated for more than 10 times… Tried to download since morning 8am till now 4.50pm (Malaysia Time GMT+8)

57. I’m using it now its so good.

58. When I click in the link;, AppStore does not open, and Safari goes back to the home page. Someone can help with this ?

59. I downloaded OS X Yosemite beta last night and it seems working flawlessly. so far I like it

60. Code got renewed in the evening download took about 1 hour and 30 miuntes to install. Working fine, boot time a little slow in my opinion al else seems fine.

61. I installed yesterday…. so far no major issues. System Preferences app froze on me once but other than that i haven’t noticed anything.

62. fibric says:

I am in but I see that my DP4 installation has a slightly higher version number than PB has. DP4 is 14A298i and PB is 14A297a. So I am not going to install the PB and stay with DP4.

63. I feel bad to say but I did not have a single problem downloading Yosemite to my MacBook Pro or even my old White MacBook. It was a bit slow as to be expected but running perfectly!! I love iTunes 12. Such a nice interface.

64. IS any anybody else else getting “an error occurred” along with having to download it again and again and again? every time it gets close to done it stops working and it says that it failed to download.

65. Been trying to download it for more than 24 hours now. Still no luck. :(

66. Does anybody face the same problem where the clock 24hour function isn’t working

67. i lost os x Yosemite when i was downloading so now i can’t enter with same redeem code. plz help me how to get a new redeem code or get back into downloading with the same code i have entered .