macbooks

The unverified photo from a Chinese Apple Store appearing to show a slight refresh to the Retina MacBook Pro launch is accurate, claims French site MacG, citing a reliable source. The site claims that the refreshed models will go on sale tomorrow.

The refresh is a minor one, with a modest speed boost of 200MHz and an increase in RAM across the range to 16GB. Apple is also, for the first time, offering a 1TB SSD in a standard model …

The specs seen yesterday are:

• 2.2GHz Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost to 3.4GHz), 16GB of RAM, 256GB of storage, and Intel Iris Pro Graphics
  • 2.5GHz Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost to 3.7GHz), 16GB of RAM, 512GB of storage, and Intel Iris Pro Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M w/2GB Video Memory
  • 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost to 4.0GHz), 16GB of RAM, 1TB of storage, and Intel Iris Pro Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M w/2GB Video Memory

One surprising element, if the specs are correct, is that Apple is retaining the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M – we would have expected this to be replaced with the more powerful and more energy-efficient GeForce 800M.

We’re expecting a more significant update in the fall, with a new 12-inch MacBook with Retina display expected to be part of the new line-up. It has been rumored this will be a new design without a fan or mechanical trackpad.

36 Responses to “Modest Retina MacBook Pro refresh expected tomorrow, still with GeForce GT 750M but base RAM up to 16GB”

1. jpluimers says:

Is this a prologue of upcoming 32GB Retina MacBook Pro machines?

2. patstar5 says:

Still don’t know what to get, surface pro 3 or MacBook pro/air. I think I should upgrade my mid 2010 MacBook pro. How much is 500gb ssd? $200? Where could I take it to be installed, last time I tried upgrading ram I fried something with the screen and paid $350 at Apple store for them to fix it. So I don’t want to do it myself.

3. Joshua Loh says:

can’t they at least put the gtx780M? i know it’s not a latest but since it’s a ‘modest’ upgrade they wouldn’t be putting like the gtx8XXm series, but at least a 780m!

4. Any news on the 13″ Retina MacBook Pros? The picture from the Chinese site yesterday only focused on the 15″ ones.

5. So, Apple is going to release these this week and then another refresh in a few months?

6. chrisw52 says:

is this a completely sealed box or can I upgrade on my own?

7. Grrr. This is frustrating. I’m in the market for a MBP right now, but I don’t want to be the guy who buys one and the refresh comes out 60 days later with more power for the same price :-)

• Stetson says:

You could buy a certified refurbished MBP from Apple. That way you save a couple hundred bucks and it doesn’t hurt so badly when new ones come out.

• apex0predator says:

In all likelihood the next refresh after this one is due Q2 2015 with new Broadwell chips, If you need rMBP right now just get these when they come out tomorrow.

• Hey, I’m the guy who bought the Retina MacBook Pro as soon as it was available last year, and maxed out all the specs. Still hurts that the base model will have a better processor and include the same sized SSD for the base price. I paid $700 for those upgrades.

8. Would love to see a price drop as well.

• apex0predator says:

Prices are staying where they are, I double checked the price on the Chinese leak against the price currently listed on apple.com/cn and they are the same. It is likely Apple choose to include more RAM on the base model instead of dropping price.

• I’m sorry but I bought my rMBP as soon as it was available last year, and maxed out all of the specs. This upgrade will make the base model equivalent to my machine. I paid $700 for those upgrades, so you could consider it a $700 price drop. I’ll be damned if you get anymore.

9. I just bought the top line macbook pro 15″ 4 days ago!!! I want to return it and get the slight upgraded one.

• apex0predator says:

Do it tomorrow if these indeed come out then. You got nothing to lose really.

• If you bought it from Apple Store, from what I hear they’re really good about exchanging for the upgrade. If they don’t exchange it, they could offer you cash or in-store credit.

PS If they don’t release the upgrade tomorrow I might consider returning the computer and holding off until they do.

10. Some update is coming. For our store all retina model are Out of stock and have ETA’s of 08/04-08/07. Some definitely an update imo.

11. godofbiscuits says:

But will it have HDMI 2.0?

12. stephen2697 says:

I took the liberty to confirm that the first two models will stay the same prices at €2049 & €2649. However the third model which is new will cost a whopping €3,349 ($3,299). Would been nice if 9to5 could of done this themselves! But its not a problem and i love 9to5 anyway!

13. Just like a few of you, I’m in the market for a new rMBP. My late-2009 is lagging to say the least. Should I wait until the fall to get a new Pro or wait for the Broadwell chip in 2015 ?? Is the Broadwell a serious game-changer?

14. that GPU is not good enough… forget this upgrade cycle !