iphone6-cam

New photos of the iPhone 6 surfaced tonight from Sonny Dickson that appear to show the backplate of the upcoming iPhone 6.  Dickson says that these photos were obtained from a source with access to the part, and they do appear to be legitimate.

The first photo, seen above, shows a close-up view of the cutouts for the camera (which appears to be raised), circular True Tone flash, rear microphone, and Apple logo. While it’s entirely possible that these photos are faked, the level of visible detail would make this quite the con job if that turned out to be the case (see the scuffs, scratches, dents, and texture).

Of course, we’ve seen fake wear on iPhone photos before, including the last batch leaked by Sonny, which featured fake fingerprint smudges across the screen.

A second photo, seen below, shows the full view of the rear panel and features identical wear and tear. The design matches previous leaks exactly, so there’s a pretty decent chance that this is the device we’ll end up seeing on September 9th.

iphone6-back

80 Responses to “Alleged iPhone 6 backplate appears in new, high-resolution leaked photos”

1. monty72 says:

Looks like I’ll be getting another 5s then!

2. Enough with the purposed leaks. I for one would like to be surprised when Apple releases new products.

3. zomer86 says:

It’s funny how all these leaks are based on 1 schematic drawing. Sonny Dickson thinks he is Mr. Source, but he is nog longer trustworthy after various fake leaks.

4. Tim Jr. says:

Their is already a fake iPhone 6 selling in China with this EXACT design.. fake scratches? please.. they could be REAL on a REAL backplate from a FAKE iPhone 6..

:p

5. BenRadUK says:

The reasons I think these are likely faked is because it doesn’t have “iPhone” etched on the back. It is true that the various codes and symbols are usually etched in after the batches have been designated for the country it will ship to, however most, if not all, previous leaks of iPhone models (just Google iPhone 5 leaked images) have the word “iPhone” pre-etched into the back of the leaked part. It appears to all be part of the overall manufacturing process. Unless the next iPhone doesn’t actually have the word “iPhone” on the back (unlikely), I would go almost 100% that these images are from some cheap knock-off from China.
    Just my 2 cents worth here…

6. uniszuurmond says:

I really really really dislike the raised camera. And I dislike those plastic bands even more. The back of this phone next to the iPhone 4 shows how much less polished this design appears.

• rogifan says:

How can you compare a finished product to a scuffed up shell that may or may not be the next iPhone and if it is certainly isn’t a final design?

• uniszuurmond says:

I am comparing the design, rather than the state. The camera lens behind the glass was beautifully minimalist, and no other band breaks on the back. The camera lens was also the centerpoint of the radius of the rounded corner. This device looks more like “if there’s space, let’s squeeze it in”. Like an afterthought. As do the bands. Not a polished design execution, where one cannot discern if form or function came first.

• chrisl84 says:

Didnt Apple patent the ability to attach lenses to a raised camera ring? For that reason alone I am happy about the raise camera ring. It will allow for optical zooming and take phone photography to new levels.

7. I’m still confused on the masking lines, are they going to be removed and appear to have a type of chamfered design to it?!

• RP says:

I noticed that too. In the picture it looks kinda like the masking is peeling off revealing a metalic seam underneath. It would be cool if the masking was a protective coating to a metalic seam or band.

8. Jeem Junooni says:

i really dont like those stripes at the back. they sort of ruin the whole design…..

• PMZanetti says:

No they really don’t, but join your fellow blogger brethren in getting hung up on something completely insignificant.

• uniszuurmond says:

Design is not insignificant. It is part of the appeal of Apple products. Even the tiniest detail (like the Yosemite trash can).

• You’re telling me design isn’t important when it comes to apple products. I think Steve Jobs just turned over in his grave. Those bands are the ugliest thing i’ve seen up to date in the whole apple line since the first iphone.

9. Overlord says:

No. It’s the iPhone 7 backplate!

10. Yeah the back plate is kinda ugly, but it will be in a case anyway.

11. standardpull says:

I think ant raised camera system is likely that way due to the physical requirements if the optical systems. As most know, there are limits to physics in terms of bending light with lens. Small lens systems mean less quality, a Tradeoff. That’s why some phones have really ugly lens systems to the point of bulky – they want a better cam system.

I wouldn’t call this design bulky, but it will be interesting to see in person to see if it gets in the way.

12. Since im not a big fan of this back design, I’m glad i’ll be using cover for quite some time

13. mallwill2 says:

This is such a fake – just looking on ebay shows similar “raised camera” designs. Also the machining quality of the apple sign is particularly ropey. Also the matte finish of the aluminium appears wrong in comparison to current iPhones. I don’t think there’s been any “real” casing leaks since the first draft schematic was seen.

• PMZanetti says:

Its not even remotely fake, but sure…make up whatever you like. Its the internet, after all.

• CJ Sheets says:

Why reply to everyone’s comments telling them they’re wrong? Surely everyone is entitled to their own opinion? Like you said, “it’s the internet, after all.” If people don’t like the look, or don’t believe it’s the final design, let them be. Unless you’re an Apple executive, non of us know with 100% certainty about anything.

Let’s all enjoy the rumors until Sept 9th, cheers.

Liked by 1 person

• mallwill2 says:

Something’s either fake or it isn’t.

• David M Koch says:

We already know these back plates (with this design) are being made for the Chinese knockoffs already being sold in China. Why would you so strongly believe these cannot be the fakes?

14. Reblogged this on Taste of Apple Tech and commented:
    I’m very torn on this, if it proves to be the final design. Obviously, I’ll wait to see the officially released and finalized model. However, those lines and the raised camera lens would be show stoppers for me. I guess a case on it would fix that – but it seems counter to Apple’s design to need to cover it up. Hopefully, the final design will be as awesome as the current design is once it is officially announced.

15. jayoxley6548 says:

i really do think jony ive will do a much better design then that peice of crap in the image
    if you look at all of the apple products (even small things no one cares about) their is still alot of care and thought into just one small thing and in the image it looks like my 5 year old sister drew it on her ipad and jony ive hasnt won multiple awards for his design and creative skill i getting ready to be blown away with next iphone really do belive it will be amazing and nothing we was going to expect

16. Oscar Daniel says:

I don’t really like this design it looks cheap and not-apple there are so many material instead of the cheap plastic can’t they put reflecting glass or metal , but not plastic … if apple launches this i will be using so many cases because i hate this design . and i would just buy it because theres nothing better on the market but that … Really hope apple don’t launch this terror

17. No one wants this design & if we, “mere mortals” can see it, apple’s design team can’t miss it at all. All the focus groups must have shown them that. Just too ugly.

18. This might be one of the ugliest iPhones we will have to get used to.

19. Ashraf Alam says:

Here’s the thing: this design sucks. Still I believe this is final design. So why Apple will release this shit? Because people will still get an iPhone 6 with bigger screen. So next year Apple can hide those ugly antenna lines and call it iPhone 6s. P.S: These hate words from a die hard Apple fanboy!

20. Cmpk Mj says:

Is Apple stepping backwardd with single LED flash instead of two-tone flash?

21. markpelin7 says:

Am I seriously the only one that has started appreciating this design? In the end it’s all about taste, but I see surprisingly many people being very negative about the design.

I guess a large portion of you guys will only start appreciating it once it’s presented in true quality (Apple’s own marketing renders).

When I made my own visualizations of the iPhone 6, I saw what it would have looked like without the stripes on the back. It’s way to boring, which isn’t Apple’s style either. I much prefer the stripes being there over a completely aluminium back. I only wish they would be a little bit thinner. Or at least make more space between the camera and the stripes. It’s to crowded in that area. Other then that, it looks really nice.

22. Zaph says:

The “Bands” are most likely to contain the NFC antennas.

23. As a designer myself I care about design a lot, it’s my life and it’s what pays the bills. I wouldn’t, however, consider myself to be as talented as Jony Ive and his team at apple.

What astounds me is that a bunch of whiney teenagers in a forum seriously think they’re better designers than apple! You. Are. Not.

This is obviously the design. But it’s badly photographed. In this case it’s obviously been tested to destruction. When it’s released, properly photographed etc, you’ll all love it.

Also, this happens EVERY release! iPhone 4 “that metal band is so un-apple” – iPhone 5 “the glass top and bottom is so ugly” etc. It’s embarrassing.

• markpelin7 says:

It is indeed embarrassing. Nice post!

And I forgot to mention it in my own post, I also strongly believe this is the real design. There hasn’t been ANY indication that the iPhone 6 will look another way. We are 29 days away from it being unveiled.. It’s already being produced probably.

• Well as a designer, you should know when something is aesthetically pleasing or not. And those antenna bands are certainly not. Gauging the general response to various posts over the last few months on this topic, I would estimate that about 90% of people find the antenna bands ugly.

There’s no point in trying to sell this as “oh you’ll all get used to it over time, then you will learn to love the design” , It’s ugly and clearly not the final ID. Whiny teenagers (you assume) , or not, the comments show the perception of the design on a broad scale. And the broader masses after all are who will be providing Apple with it’s profits next yr.

In my opinion the antenna bands are a necessity of the design in terms of antenna performance : 3G antenna, Wifi / Bluetooth antenna, NFC antenna – these things don’t work so well inside a sealed metal case. The antenna breaks are probably not going to change. They are there for a practical reason. Even Apple can’t put aesthetics before performance.

However it’s clear that the way the antenna bands are integrated aesthetically will be carried out in the most elegant way possible by Apple design team. It’s the Apple trademark, elegance. My money is on the color matching of the inner glass panel which sits inside the antenna breaks, On the prototypes they have used the same color as the rest of the rear cover. A more elegant execution however would be to match the inner glass panel’s color to the antenna bands. Creating a cleaner design, and more akin to the iphone 5 with it’s top and bottom contrasting color strips, which has become iconic to iphone.

These are decoy/ugly prototypes and Apple are doing a nice job at keeping the final ID under wraps.

• acslater017 says:

Yep. Every year, the leaks look weird or ugly. Then we see the final product and people whip out the “shut up and take my money” pics.

When can we learn, what we see in July and August is like seeing someone halfway through doing their hair and makeup?

24. i love this design. i hope it’s legit

25. zubeirg87 says:

I believe to 99% that this is the actual design of the iphone 6. The 1% uncertainty is just the case where Apple did succeed in doubling down on secrecy, and deliberately made these cases to fool people, hence keeping the wow factor at launch. But this would be really improbable. Adding to the fact that Sonny Dickson is quite renowned for the accuracy of his leaks.

Now about the beauty of the design. Some people are calling it ugly. It’s true that everyone has got their personal taste and it is something no one can argue about. But let’s keep in mind Apple’s/Jony Ive’s design philosophy which is that the function dictates the form. If these “ugly” lines are the only/best way to make a fully metal-backed (hence strong) phone with the best wireless strength possible, then so be it. Every car has got an ugly hole in the back called the exhaust pipe, but nobody is commenting about its ugliness. Rather everybody accepts it because it is necessary. There wouldn’t be a better way of doing it without bringing other tradeoffs. This applies to everything else. You’ve got to accept things that are necessary to the functioning of the device.

Apple is not perfect and cannot do miracles. They just do the best thing they can. And actually do it better than everybody else.

• jorge1170x says:

“And actually do it better than everybody else.” 2007 – very true statement. 2014 – you’re blinded by something if you still think it’s true.

• acslater017 says:

In 1 month, Apple will add to iOS Extensions, keyboards, widgets, interactive notifications, iCloud Drive, TouchID, Family Sharing, and all the best bits of popular messaging apps. Probably a 4.7-inch display. Things that have admittedly been present on other platforms.

But how’s rivals’ progress on secure, profitable apps? First run games? Tablet apps? Great, easy cameras? Timely software updates? Security and stability? Support? Enterprise? Retail?

Apple did the hard stuff first, and is now adding amenities. Google is quick on amenities and has great internet services, but has failed miserably on the basics. Microsoft hasn’t gotten of the ground. No other single hardware manufacturer has great design (HTC One), great displays (Galaxy), great cameras (Lumia) AND great software (Nexus) like Apple. They only have one or two pieces of the puzzle.

So yea, Apple still does it better in 2014.

• zubeirg87 says:

Thx. I was about to ask the guy if he could an example of a better product than Apple’s. I think you gave a better answer.

• I agree with you that the antenna bands are required. But the example photos are clearly not the “best” Apple can manage

• A car’s exhaust can be easily hidden. Also it fills about 1-3% of the total surface of what you see in a car. The bands fill bloody 20%, how can you NOT see them?

• zubeirg87 says:

I’m just saying you have to accept something if it is important to how the device functions. The function has always dictated the form.
        I’m sure engineers and designers at Apple have thoroughly evaluated the pros n cons before coming to this final design. I’m sure everybody will soon accept this design once it comes out.

• Yeah, I know that function also has something to say. However, you can for example eliminate the bands entirely, by placing a band all the way around the iPhone along its side between the back and front parts, thus marrying two parts together in matrimony. One side you see and use (female) the back side is where the heart and battery are (practicality like a male).
        Would look much more symmetrical and great.
        Even the iPhone 4 had unsymmetrical sides, but still the best designed so far (in my opinion)

• zubeirg87 says:

What I understand u r saying is to go back to the 4/4s design, which is a metal band sandwiched by glass on both sides. There are other issues to this design, like vulnerability to breakage on drops. A fully metal-back phone is indeed stronger. There are indeed professional engineers and designers at Apple, so they must have considered all that.
        Let’s also not forget that the actual phone coming out sept 9 will look much better than this. As already been mentioned, leaks usually look ugly. Even the iphone 5 leaked cases looked nothing close to beautiful. But at launch Apple compared them to beautifully crafted watches.

• Hmmm, I don’t necessarily want to revert to a 4/4S design.
        I’m willing to sacrifice glass for sapphire and steel for aluminium.

I hope you’re right on 2 counts:
        1) Apple engineers/designers have considered this thoroughly.
        2) Usually mockup’s look “ugly” compared to the real thing.

As per the designers at Apple, they’ve created things in the past that isn’t too beautiful as well. (Look at the iPod shuffle) or the incomprehensible colours of iPhone 5C which is a total fail.

As the saying goes:
        “Too many cooks spoil the broth”
        but then again another saying:
        “Many hands make light work”

So which is right? A single clear core focus, or a large design team creating mistakes?

I liked Apple pre-Tim Cook, when Steve was there, I liked skeumorphism iOS 6 and the iPhone 4.
        Although the iPhone 5 is also quite beautiful.
        iOS 7 is still a failure as an OS as well (in terms of design)
        All in my own opinion of course and nothing can be backed up with facts :)

26. rzozaya1969 says:

Oh.. broken and scratched…. :P

27. dridots says:

I’m so excited about Sept. 9th that I could just run into a wall.

28. I don’t think the antenna breaks would be as “ugly” if they didn’t have the rounded bit following the edge of the phone, instead just have the straight line that runs under the camera from edge to edge.

29. Toddy Fisher says:

This backs up what I saw a man holding on the New York Subway a few weeks ago.. Exactly the same casing. I immediately thought.. hey.. that’s not a normal iPhone, maybe he’s testing the 6? it alerted me as I have been following the rumour posts.. unfortunately he got off the train before I had the balls to ask.
    – Good story right

30. F***ing bands :(
    Can’t believe a design can be this poor and utter trash!
    Hate those bands!!!!!

31. confluxnz says:

So. So. Ugly. Good thing I bought an iPhone 5S this morning.

32. klepp0906 says:

Fake. C’mon now look at that thing. When has apple ever released something half a ugly in the last decade?