The update is a 238MB download. To get it, connect your iPhone to your computer using iTunes 8 and follow the on-screen instructions
Let’s find out what’s inside – any improvements? Any new features?
We’re updating as soon as we can, share what you learn in comments below…
Update: All appears to be as good as advertised – we have an official review and some of our user impressions:
- the SMS alert repeat is not there. :s…fast as lightning though…
- texting is fast, settings load faster, games run better, they finally made a update that did something!!!!
- Wow, this made such a big difference for me. I get 4 bars now where I used to get 1/2 in 3G. It’s not just displaying better strength because my connectivity speed is way yup.
- My SMS IS FIXED!
- Apps seem faster and none have yet crashed.
- Apple may have finally fixed the iPhone.
- I do agree, everything seems to work like warm butter but my guess is how do I activate Genius playlists creation? I have everything already set up on iTunes 8 and expected it to work as shown on the special event for the iPod touch.
I get the impression push messaging didn’t just have bugs, it didn’t work – thats why it was pushed.
(see what I did there, ‘pushed?’ god I’m hilarious)
The update includes:
- Decrease in call set-up failures and dropped calls;
- Significantly better battery life for most users;
- Dramatically reduced time to backup to iTunes;
- Improved email reliability, notably fetching email from POP and Exchange accounts;
- Faster installation of 3rd party applications;
- Fixed bugs causing hangs and crashes for users with lots of third party applications;
- Improved performance in text messaging;
- Faster loading and searching of contacts;
- Improved accuracy of the 3G signal strength display;
- Repeat alert up to two additional times for incoming text messages;
- Option to wipe data after ten failed passcode attempts;
- Genius playlist creation;
We don’t know just yet if the patch addresses a bug which impacted some users who saw their applications fail and their iPod library content become unavailable.