Apple just finished the new iPad presentation at San Francisco’s Yerba Buena Center for the Arts. Now we have full tech specs, and the new Retina Display is its defining feature, but what about the little things? Per pre-event rumors and whispers, the new iPad is a tad heavier and thicker than its predecessor is.
The new iPad is 9.4mm thin and weighs 1.4lbs. As for the iPad 2, it is 8.8mm deep and weighs 1.33lbs (Wi-Fi model). This makes the new iPad 0.6mm thicker and 0.07lbs heavier. However, we somehow doubt anyone other than the most eagle-eyed fans will notice the difference.
As for its battery, the new iPad maintains the same 10-hour battery life as both the original iPad and iPad 2. Steve Jobs highlighted battery performance at the iPad 2 unveiling by underscoring how iPad 2 features the same “legendary” battery as the original model. “We don’t want to give that up,” he said, “This has been tried and tested by many reviewers.”
- Apple March 7th iPad event Liveblog (9to5mac.com)
- Apple drops 16GB iPad 2 to $399, $529 for Wi-Fi + 3G (9to5mac.com)
- Apple launches gestures-heavy iPhoto for iPad, can tell you weather in images. Available today for $4.99 (9to5mac.com)
- In new GarageBand, 4 iOS devices can “jam” in realtime (9to5mac.com)
- The new iPad has 10-hour battery life, is 0.6mm thicker and 0.07lbs heavier (9to5mac.com)
- New iPad preorders start today, available March 16 in ten countries (9to5mac.com)
- Yes, the new iPad is 4G LTE (9to5mac.com)
- iPad gets better cameras: iSight on the front, 5MP with 1080p video recording on the back (9to5mac.com)
- Voice Dictation on new iPad (9to5mac.com)
- Apple confirms A5X with quad-core graphics in new iPad (9to5mac.com)
- The new iPad is here and it’s got a Retina Display packing a million more pixels than your HD TV (9to5mac.com)
- Tim Cook: iPad is the poster child of the post PC world (9to5mac.com)
- Apple unveils new Apple TV: Streamlined UI, 1080p video output, full HD iCloud movies, same $99 price (9to5mac.com)
- Apple launching iOS 5.1 today with Japanese Siri support (9to5mac.com)
- Tim Cook: Post-PC devices made up 76 percent of our revenues (9to5mac.com)
- We now see International 4G iPads in Apple’s inventory system (9to5mac.com)
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.