Perfect for any iPhone toting gamer, ThinkGeek offers the iCade Jr. Mini Arcade Cabinet for iPhone 4/4S for just $19.99 with free shipping. That’s $30 off the $50 list price and the lowest price we’ve ever seen for this awesome little game controller. From the manufacturer:
Miss the days of hours long marathons of Tetris, Pac-Man, or Space Invaders? Nostalgic for feeding your hard-earned quarters into arcade games as your friends gathered around to watch you try for a new record? Remember those sweaty, cramping, aching hands frozen in position on that shiny red joystick? We bet you 50 cents you do.
Ion Audio and ThinkGeek have collaborated to adapt their popular iCade, designed for the iPad, to fit your iPhone. With the iCade Jr., you can take your newest most favorite-est toy, your iPhone, and turn it into your oldest most favorite-est toy, an arcade game. Designed specifically to fit your iPhone or iPod Touch, the iCade Jr., allows arcade-like game play of hundreds of games using that shiny red joystick and buttons. No quarters needed.
- Miniature playable arcade cabinet for your desk. Just add iPhone!
- It’s the iCade, scaled down!
- Sized for safe, secure fit for iPhone 4/4S or iPod touch 4th Generation
- Fits iPhone 5 if you leave the top lid hinged back
- Features arcade-style joystick, four front and rear buttons
- Works with hundreds of game including iCade Jr. compatible games from the App Store
- Rotating cradle allows for landscape and portrait viewing
- Connects using wireless Bluetooth technology (set up once and you’re good to go!)
- True control with eight action buttons and two-axis directional pad
- Safety & Warranty Manual and Quickstart Guide included
- Batteries: 2 x AA (included)
Numerous iOS developers have built in iCADE support. In all, over 150 apps have announced support for the iCADE standard.
Here is a list of some of the best iCade games. Search keyword “iCade” in the app store to find more. [ iCADE Games List ]
- Official ION Documentation! – The team at ION has made their official iCADE Developers Resource available for download without an NDA and we’re please to offer it here as well! iCADE Developers Resource [PDF].
- Stuart Carnie of manomio software has released an Open Source SDK for adding iCADE support to iOS apps. The open source iCADE SDK can be downloaded here.
iOS: If you’ve taken the step of Jailbreaking your iPhone, the iMAME4all app adds MAME awesomeness to your iCADE gaming stack. While we can’t recommend jailbreaking or unlicensed ROMs, we can certainly confirm that it does indeed work and it works quite well. :)
Android: By popular demand, Seleuco added iCADE support to MAME4droid
The iCADE uses the U.S. Hardware Keyboard Layout. International Users can switch their iPhone to this layout by following thee steps:
- Launch Settings app on your iPhone
- Select ‘General’
- Select ‘Keyboard’
- Select ‘International Keyboards’
- Select (your keyboard language)
- Select ‘English’
- Close Settings app
- The Hardware Keyboard can be switched back to your language of choice by following these directions and choosing your language in Step 6.
More holiday deals at 9to5Toys.com