Just in time for the NFL playoffs, the Yahoo Sports iOS app has been updated with a plethora of new features, the biggest of which are a totally new iOS 7 design and a new “Loops” service (via TechCrunch). Loops allows users to search through a game, select a short portion of it, and create an animated gif with that footage, along with captions, effects, and looping. Right now, Loops is compatible with the NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, and NCCAB, though Yahoo says it plans to expand support to other leagues soon.
Aside from Loops, the app has a totally new interface inspired by iOS 7 that is quite nice and very clean. The interface supports more customization options as well, such as the ability to personalize the navigation menus to eliminate sports you don’t care about. The team and player pages have also been improved with easier access to news and stats. Finally, the football scores page has been updated with redone and scoring play indicators.
The update is available now on the App Store.
- BOOMSHAKLAKA! Loops are a new way to easily capture, transform and share your favorite sports moments as they happen directly from the game page. Think of a Loop as an animated GIF, with captions, effects and comments added to memorable moments in every game. [Note: For select games on iPhone only. Please wifi for the best experience.]
- Clean, beautiful redesign for iOS7 with dozens of new features and improvements. If Brady and Gisele made a sports app, it might not be as good looking as this.
- New team and player pages with cover photos and easy access to the latest news.
- Improved football scores page with redzone and scoring play indicators.
- Personalize your league nav in the order you want with the leagues you want. You’ll never have to look at [insert sport you don’t like] again!
- Fixed a bunch of bugs and a few crashes. Sorry those were there in the first place.