NFL Stories March 30
NFL Stories September 9, 2021
Verizon and the NFL team up to bring 5G UWB to 25 stadiums and more
Verizon and the NFL have announced a deal that extends their long-running partnership for 10 more years. The move will bring Verizon’s high-speed 5G ultra wideband coverage to 25 stadiums this season, power its 5G Multi-View, “Next Gen Stats,” and look to enhance the experience for fans, coaches, players, staff, and more. And along with the announcement, the carrier and the NFL are giving away tickets to the next 10 years of Super Bowl games.
NFL Stories July 9, 2021
NFL Stories June 25, 2018
NFL Stories January 24, 2018
Rovio has updated Angry Birds 2 and Angry Birds Evolution for the NFL season with football content.
Bird Island has been tuned into the NFL season thanks to some tinkering from Dr. Strangebird. Now the whole island is hyped up for Super Bowl LII! Join the celebration to collect a brand new bird – The Quarterback, and hit the gridiron for a game of Pigball in the NFLed-out Mighty Metrodome …
NFL Stories January 13, 2018
NFL Stories December 11, 2017
The partnership kicks off in January 2018 with streaming of the NFL playoffs on Yahoo and Yahoo Sports, in addition to go90 and the NFL mobile app.
In addition to the expanded availability of live games, the new agreement will provide fans mobile access to NFL highlights [and] coverage of NFL throughout the week and year.
There is one catch, however …
NFL Stories April 4, 2017
Twitter seeking deal to allow users to watch live pay-TV channels within its app
If you enjoy following live sports games on Twitter while you watch them, you may soon to be able to watch pay-TV live broadcasts from within the Twitter app.
NFL Stories September 14, 2016
Just in time for NFL Thursday Night Football (and tvOS 10), Twitter is launching a new Apple TV app for streaming live video to the big screen. It was first reported a month ago that the new app was in the works. The new app will let viewers watch premium video content like the 10 NFL games that Twitter bought the rights to broadcast, and Twitter content like Top Tweets and Vines will also be accessible.
NFL Stories August 15, 2016
With Twitter winning the bid for Thursday night NFL football, the company is keen to get its live streaming content in front of eyeballs. This apparently includes Apple TV, according to a report by the New York Times. Twitter is holding talks with Apple regarding a new app which would enable Apple TV customers to watch NFL live through the Twitter app.
NFL Stories April 14, 2016
NFL Stories April 5, 2016
Tim Cook’s pitch for the fourth generation Apple TV so far has been largely that “the future of TV is apps”, and this week yet another premium cable and satellite network is launching a standalone version of its network for cord cutters. Starz, which before now has required a traditional cable or satellite package for access, is launching a streaming version of its network for a monthly rate competitive to HBO and Netflix. The new Starz app is available on iPhone, iPad, and the fourth generation Apple TV for $8.99/month if you don’t have the network in your cable package. Also in the streaming space, we learned today that Twitter has emerged victorious is scoring the rights to stream 10 NFL “Thursday Night Football” games in the next season…
NFL Stories March 3, 2016
Earlier this year it was reported that Apple was among a handful of tech companies negotiating for the streaming rights to NFL Thursday Night Football games. While CBS and NBC obtained the rights to the television broadcasts, the NFL is looking for other options for the streaming rights. Re/code reports today, however, that Apple is no longer interested in purchasing the rights to Thursday Night Football.
NFL Stories February 4, 2016
According to a new report from Variety, Apple is among the tech companies negotiating with the NFL for digital rights to Thursday Night Football. Earlier this month, the National Football League inked deals with CBS and NBC to divide the TV rights for Thursday games over the next two seasons, but streaming to non-subscribers was not included in that deal.
NFL Stories December 16, 2015
Apple, Google among streaming providers NFL is expecting to bid on Thursday Night Football
The NFL is said to be looking at Apple, Google, Amazon and Yahoo as platform partners for streaming its Thursday night football games according to SportsBusinessDaily:
The league also sent RFPs to several digital companies, like Google, Yahoo, Apple and Amazon, to stream the entire Thursday night schedule on a non-exclusive basis, sources said. The league’s initial plan would have the digital streams serve as a simulcast of the television production — with the same ads and in-game production features. The league expects bidding to start in the low $300M for the television package, with a nominal escalator in year two, sources said.
Yahoo, who is expected to bid, paid $15M to exclusively stream one game this season according to the report so the deal would be a big one. Because the streaming deal would be non-exclusive, the prices would be much lower on a per-game basis. More importantly, the deal would hopefully be the first step into the much larger goal of streaming the whole NFL Season.
Apple TV got the Game Pass service featuring live preseason football games on updated NFL app just four months ago, and now has tvOS as a platform to expand on that.
NFL Stories September 2, 2015
Live sports on Apple TV has always been a tricky matter as networks typically keep major sporting events on tradition channels, but we’re slowly starting to see more and more major sporting events officially available on Internet streaming services. CBS Sports is making waves in this space especially as it announced this week that it will stream two regular season NFL games, four playoff games, and even Super Bowl 50 on Apple TV, iPad, and other devices this season. expand full story
NFL Stories August 31, 2015
NFL Stories July 20, 2015
The NFL is about to retire Game Rewind, a paid service for users in the US that offers online streaming and apps for on-demand NFL games, and replace it with a revamped version of its Game Pass service that will bring full, on-demand games to Apple TV for the first time. Previously the Game Pass service was only available to users internationally and not available on Apple TV.
A note on the NFL’s webpage for Game Rewind warns users that “as of July 31, 2015 Game Rewind will no longer be available.” The message, however, notes that users will be able to access games with “the all new NFL Game Pass,” and more importantly, promises that the service will soon arrive on Apple TV. expand full story
NFL Stories June 3, 2015
[Update: Showtime has officially announced its standalone service coming in July for $10.99/month on Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch ahead of the July 12th season premiers of several shows.]
CBS is expected to announce a standalone subscription version of its premium network Showtime on Apple TV “as early as today or Thursday,” according to a report from Variety. The standalone version of Showtime will allow cord-cutters to pay for access to the channel through Apple TV without requiring a cable subscription. The news comes as Yahoo revealed that it will be the first to stream an NFL game globally for free to set-top boxes, mobile apps, and more… expand full story
NFL Stories January 28, 2015
Super Bowl XLIX with the Seahawks vs. the Patriots kicks off this weekend on February 1st and we’re already getting prepared with a handy list of links for watching on all your Apple devices.
Head below for details on how to watch the game from iPhone, iPad, or Mac. expand full story
NFL Stories January 22, 2015
9to5Toys Last Call: iPhone 6/Plus cases from $7, MacBook Air $199 off, Super Bowl HDTV deals, more
Today’s can’t miss deals:
Last Call updates:
- iTunes Free App of the Week – Shades: A Simple Puzzle Game ($1.99 value)
- Leatherman is going to put out a wearable multi-tool with a Swiss watch
- Klipsch STATUS Over-Ear Headphones (white) $85 shipped (orig. $250)
- Fashion: Save 40% off at Banana Republic, 70% at Abercrombie, more
- Speck CandyShell Grip iPad mini Case (multiple colors) $10 (orig. $45)
- Home: WORX Lithium Blower/Sweeper (refurb) $45 (orig. $100), more
- Nintendo Throwback Sale 2: Punch-Out!! $10 for Wii U, NES Remix 2, more
- HP Chromebox CB1 desktop computer: $130 (Reg. up to $180)
- IK Multimedia unveils the iRig Mic Studio and PowerBridge adapter for iOS/Mac + the new UA Android guitar interface
Amazon Gold Box – 30% off NuPro iPhone 6/Plus cases: multiple styles/colors from $7 Prime shipped
Apple 13.3-inch MacBook Air (newest version) 1.4Ghz/4GB/256GB: $1,000 ($199 off)
Apple 11.6-inch MacBook Air (mid 2013) 1.3GHz/4GB/256GB: $849 shipped (orig. $1,099)
Supersize your Super Bowl with these HDTV deals
Small States: Paper by FiftyThree pursues the new digital American Dream, multiple giveaways
More new deals:
- New! Canon PIXMA Wireless All-in-One Inkjet Printer w/ AirPrint $50 shipped (orig. $100)
- New! Games/Apps: Xbox One Assassin’s Creed bundle w/ Live $350, iOS freebies, more
- New! New iOS releases: The LEGO Movie Videogame and Square Enix’s Dragon Quest V
- New! Daily Deals: Vaas Bluetooth Keyboard for iPad: $11, more
- New! Jabra Solemate Wireless Portable Bluetooth Speaker w/ NFC $70 (Reg. up to $150)
More deals still alive:
- Belkin Loft MacBook Stand $32 Prime shipped (Reg. $50)
- Kensington KeyFolio Pro Plus Backlit Bluetooth Keyboard case for iPad Air: $35 (orig. $90)
- Multi-yr magazine subs from $4 per yr: Popular Science, Dwell, Wired, GQ, more
- Blumoo RF Remote Control adapter w/ streaming $85 (orig. $130), more
- Headphones: Sennheiser HD 518 $70 (Reg. $130), Velodyne vFree wireless $40 (Reg. $80+)
- SSDs: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB $160, Transcend SATA III 256GB $90, more
- Bluetooth Speakers: Sol Republic Deck $50 (Reg. $80), Yamaha $100 (Reg. $150+)
- Logitech K400 wireless keyboard w/ built-in touchpad $20 shipped (orig. $40)
- HDTVs: VIZIO 65-inch 4K $1,500 (Reg. $2,200), more
- iHome iW3 AirPlay Speaker w/ rechargeable battery $45 shipped (Reg. $60+)
- Break is exclusively streaming 200 Lionsgate movies for free
- Speakers: Pioneer Floorstanding Pair $120, Klipsch Outdoor $130
- $100 iTunes Gift Card for $87 shipped
- Transcend JetDrive 240GB SSD Upgrade Kits for MacBook Air & Retina Pro: $169
- D-Link Wireless AC1000 Dual Band Cloud Router $30 shipped (orig. $140)
- Expedia coupon code: save $25 on hotel stays of $100 or more
- The iMacompanion is the front USB Port your iMac deserves (15% off)
- Apple-certified MFi 3.3ft Lightning USB Cable: $7 Prime shipped, more
- Productivity Pack: Evernote, Wunderlist, LastPass, Pocket Premium subscriptions $60
- MacHeist Mac app bundle: Parallels Access, CodeKit, Speedy and more $15 ($239 value)
- Valiant Hearts: The Great War is IGN’s free iOS game of the month ($4.99 value)
New products/ongoing promos/info:
- The Internet Button from Spark lets you physically trigger all your IFTTT recipies
- Netflix set to begin streaming The Interview this weekend
- Plex is now available on PlayStation 3 and 4 for Pass subscribers
- Kitchen Tech: The best wine tools and restaurant-class champagne accessories
- Limited edition Borderlands preorder includes an iOS controlled Claptrap robot
- The new Avatar: Warrior’s Journey game is coming to iOS and Android this spring
- Free week of NBA League Pass for iOS, Android, Apple TV, more
- Mortal Kombat developer NetherRealm Studios releases free-to-play WWE iOS fighter
- Myo armband is set to go mainstream
- GE built a smart Keurig brewer directly into its new Café French Door refrigerators
- Cree enters the smart home space with its new Connected LED Bulb
- Here are the new premium Ultimaker 2 Go and 2 Extended home 3D printers
NFL Stories October 16, 2014
Just one day after HBO announced that it would be offering a web-only subscription at some point next year, CBS has played leap-frog by announcing the immediate availability of a $5.99/month web & app subscription offering on-demand access to almost all content.
CBS All Access will offer subscribers thousands of episodes from the current season, previous seasons and classic shows on demand, as well as the ability to stream local CBS Television stations live in 14 of the largest U.S. markets at launch.
CBS All Access is available beginning today at CBS.com and on mobile devices through the CBS App for iOS and Android.
Cable companies have long shied away from offering access to popular, current programming without demanding that you sign-up to cable access first. But broadcasters now seem to be recognizing that it isn’t just cord-cutting that threatens their existing models, it’s also ‘cord nevers’ – young people who simply aren’t signing up for cable subscriptions in the first place, preferring to get their TV fix online … expand full story
NFL Stories October 10, 2014
Bose headphones and audio products could soon get the boot from Apple retail stores, according to a report from MacRumors citing “a reliable source.”
While Apple’s acquisition of Beats would seem like the obvious reason behind replacing the many Bose headphones and speakers currently used with iOS and Mac demo units, the report also claims that Apple will be removing Bose products from store shelves in addition to the demo units. expand full story
NFL Stories October 9, 2014
49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick fined $10,000 for wearing Beats headphones to press conference
SF 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick has been fined $10,000 by the NFL for wearing a pair of pink Beats by Dre headphones (presumably for Breast Cancer Awareness Month) during a post-game press conference on Sunday. The National Football League recently signed an agreement with Bose that barred players and staff from wearing any other brand of headphones while on camera.
Kaepernick has an endorsement deal with Beats which comes into conflict with that agreement. The player declined to state whether the Apple-owned brand was picking up the tab for this infraction (and potentially others in the future).