Although it hasn’t garnered the same level of excitement as iOS 10’s unveiling, there are quite a few compelling additions to be found in macOS Sierra. Along with a rebranded and more modern naming convention, macOS Sierra adds Siri, a Universal Clipboard for sharing clipboard contents between iOS and macOS, and many more underlying features.
Synology RT2600ac: The AirPort Extreme replacement.
In the following video walkthrough, we discuss many of the new features found in macOS Sierra. Some of tentpole items, such as Siri, are obvious new additions, but there are many new items found in macOS Sierra that can fly under the radar. In fact, some of my favorite features in macOS Sierra aren’t the headlining features that you would expect.
That said, Siri shows lots of promise, and can take on many of the mundane tasks that users perform on desktop computers. To be honest, Siri seems like more like an “assistant” in the desktop environment, as it allows you to multitask while it carries out the tasks you assign it with. For instance, I can ask Siri to search the web for images of the Apple II while simultaneously writing a paragraph about the Apple II. I see a lot of potential here.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for more hands-on videos
- Sierra wallpaper
- Storage Recommendations (System Information)
- Optimize Mac Storage (iCloud → iCloud Drive options)
- Remove items from the Trash after 30 days
- Desktop and Documents folder live on iCloud Drive
- Keep folders on top when sorting by name
- Notification Center updated design
- Choose output from sound button in menu bar
- Move any menu bar item
- Prefer tabs when opening documents
- Tabs in maps
- Double space enters a period
- Safari and iTunes Picture in Picture
- Updated Console app
- Dwell Control
- Auto Unlock
- APFS Apple File System
- Universal Clipboard
- Intelligent Search
- Large emoji
- Inline video playback
- Inline links
- Redesigned Apple Music features in iTunes
- Locations to invoke Siri (Dock, menu bar, Application folder, Launchpad, Spotlight, keyboard shortcut)
- Query: Book a restaurant in Chicago for 7PM
- Query: Find “iOS 10 Features” in my Movies folder
- Pin Siri results to Notification Center
- Query: Search for images, drag and drop in document
- Query: How much free space do I have on my Mac
- Query: Add Seth and Zac to my Noon meeting
- Query: How do I spell egregious
- Query: Play Beats 1
- Query: What’s the Weather in Fukuoka
- Query: What time is it in Tokyo?
- Query: Show my photos from yesterday
What are your thoughts on macOS Sierra? Personally speaking, I love it. I’ve always had a special place in my heart for the Mac, and macOS causes my affinity for the platform to grow.