Here we go! iOS 12 developer beta 2 is officially out for developers. As always, we’ll dig through the latest beta version and highlight all the changes between the first beta and the latest beta below.
New in iOS 12
iOS 12 includes several significant changes for iPhone and iPad including performance improvements, especially on older devices; ARKit 2.0 with shared experiences; refined search and sharing in Photos; more Siri access in third-party apps and Siri Shortcuts based on Workflow; updates to Stocks, Voice Memos, Apple Books, and Apple News; use management features including updates to Do Not Disturb, more manageable notifications, and Screen Time parental controls; Memoji in Messages; FaceTime between up to 32 users; and much more.
New in beta 2?
- Podcasts app now shows Now Playing indicator on currently playing chapters (chapter support is new to iOS 12)
- New splash screen for updated Voice Memos app
- New splash screen for Screen Time in Settings, includes Down Time walkthrough for parents
- New arrow launcher for Shortcuts in Spotlight
- iPhone-only apps on iPad now use iPhone 6 version, not iPhone 4 version (…Instagram…)
- Softer location icon in status bar
- Time Travel references removed from Watch app –> Clock
iOS 12 Beta 2 Release Note Changes
- The Weather widget isn’t functional in iOS 12 beta 2. (41096139)
- Updating from iOS 10.2 and earlier to iOS 12 beta 2 via iTunes is not supported. (41215257) Workaround: Update your device OTA to iOS 12 beta 2. Or, first update your device to iOS 11.4 via iTunes or OTA, then use iTunes to update to iOS 12 beta 2.
- The ”Maps Nearby” widget buttons don’t launch the Maps app. (40099072)
- Opening an iWork document via AirDrop or Files app might cause the device to become unresponsive. (40338520, 40694399)
- Time Zones might not update automatically. (40499996)
- When deploying apps to iOS 11 or earlier, JPEG image assets are not included in the compiled .car file. (40507731)
- Vibration alerts on iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus might be unexpectedly loud.(40524982)
3rd Party Apps
- Netflix might unexpectedly quit when downloading a video. (40653033)
- Twitter might display a blank login screen. (40910390)
- Taobao might unexpectedly quit on launch. (40958373)Known Issues
- Skype might unexpectedly quit after logging in. (39666451)
- Notification action buttons might become illegible when Increase Contrast settings are enabled. (41050794)Resolved Issues
- Platform Switching for Switch Control is unavailable in iOS 12 beta. (40035312)
- Sysdiagnose initiation via the Analytics menu item in AssistiveTouch and Switch Control is currently unavailable. (40504710)
- Newly-created calendar events might be unavailable to VoiceOver. (40555552)
- Playback might not pause when only one of the AirPods is removed from your ears. (40824029)
- Signing into a previously-used sandbox account during the In-App Purchase flow might produce unexpected results. (40639792)
- When an Apple Pay payment sheet is presented in Safari on a Mac without Touch ID, you won’t be able to confirm the payment if your iPhone or Apple Watch display is off. (40384791)
- CarPlay might not connect to certain vehicles. (40494430) Resolved Issues
- Alarms are currently unavailable while using CarPlay. (39159434)
- Inviting iOS 11 users who have multiple email addresses associated with their Apple ID to a home might not succeed. (41033550)
- Workaround: Send the invitation to a different email address or phone number associated with the Apple ID of the iOS 11 user.
- The navigation button isn’t present in the Share Options sheet while using the Add People feature. (40368764)
- While typing in certain apps, keyboard suggestions may overlap. (40231537)
- In .obj models, the bump semantics in .mtl files don’t map to MDLMaterialSemanticTangentSpaceNormal. (40665817)
Phone & FaceTime
- Group FaceTime calls cannot be initiated between iOS 12 beta 2 and the first iOS 12 beta release. (39873802)
- Workaround: Users should update to iOS 12 beta 2.
- Automatic enlargement of the speaker’s tile during a Group FaceTime call is not enabled while using external headphones. (40615683)
- Workaround: Use the built-in speaker of your iOS device.
- If a user attempts to enable a SIM PIN the iOS device will lose cellular service. (40958280)
- Workaround: Restart the iOS device or remove and reinsert the SIM Card.
- Some FaceTime video calls might be interrupted by a ‘poor connection’ message. (41033989)
- Workaround: Disconnect the call and try reconnecting.
- FaceTime might unexpectedly quit on launch. (41189126)
- Workaround: Use Siri to place a FaceTime call. Resolved Issues
- The Calls on Other Devices using your carrier account feature is unavailable on iOS 12 beta. (40180205)
- Users might be unable to configure Call Forwarding. (40362744)
- During a Group FaceTime call, the text overlay feature might remain invisible until the preview window is moved downward. (40395097)
- Attempting to add an additional participant to a FaceTime call with many participants might not succeed. (40433480)
- Wi-Fi Calling might be disabled after updating to iOS 12 beta. (40467667)
- Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) customers using the Bell network in Canada might experience an error message when attempting to sign up for a cellular plan or when attempting to access ‘Manage Bell Account’. (40556479)
- During a FaceTime call, iPad Pro (10.5-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (2nd generation), and iPad (6th generation) don’t send video to the receiving device. (40725406, 40873560)
- iPod touch (6th generation), iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, and iPad Air support only audio (no video) during Group FaceTime calls in iOS 12 beta.
- In iOS 12 beta, Camera Effects in Messages is available only on iPhone SE and iPhone 6s or later and is unavailable on iPad. Camera Effects in FaceTime is available only on iPhone 7 or later and is unavailable on iPad.
- Wi-Fi calls might end unexpectedly when transitioning from Wi-Fi to cellular while on the T-Mobile network. (39251828)
- Voicemail notifications might be inconsistent and not appear when the device is locked. (39826861)
- Search results might be unavailable when using languages other than English. (39781553)
- There is no default icon for RPBroadcastPickerView.(38813581)
Safari & WebKit
- Rotating the device while viewing a PDF in Safari might prevent the PDF from scrolling or maximizing layout width. (39794462)
- Important: All Screen Time settings will be reset after updating to iOS 12 beta 2. Users must reactivate and reconfigure Screen Time to continue using this feature.
- When Family Sharing is enabled for an iCloud account, only family members designated Parent/Guardian may disable Screen Time on their device.
- To enable a Restrictions Passcode on a Child device where the Child has enabled Screen Time, the Parent/Guardian must first disable Screen Time on the Child device and reenable Screen Time from the Parent/Guardian device.
- If a Child account wishes not to share Screen Time usage with Parent/Guardian accounts, they should either become a Parent/Guardian or leave the iCloud family. (40675329)
- When ‘Ask For More’ is enabled on a Child device, entering the passcode on the Child device to approve more time still results in a prompt on the Parent/Guardian device.
- When ‘Ask For More’ is not enabled on a Child device, tapping ‘Ignore Limit’ prompts for the Screen Time passcode. (41060009)
- App usage data isn’t removed after an app has been deleted. (39428587)
- Screen Time settings don’t sync between devices; however, usage data is synced. (39660477)
- Usage breakdown by app is unavailable in iOS 12 beta. (39697268)
- Users might receive multiple Screen Time Weekly Report notifications. (40401895)
- Apps and Websites might be disabled even after Screen Time is disabled. (40656766)
- Some child iCloud accounts might not report usage data back to the parent’s device. (40749009)
- Shortcutsdonatedwithimagescreatedusingthe+[INImageimageWithURL:]API won’t display an image. (40623457) Workaround: Use +[INImage imageWithImageData:]
- When recording a custom Shortcuts phrase, the user might not be able to tap Done to save the Shortcut. (40862775)
- When a user connects a playback device such as headphones, the Media Player UI might not display artwork. (40989415) Workaround: Shortcuts developers may verify their images using the Developer switch in Settings > Developer > Display Recent Shortcuts.
- When Siri’s language is set to Chinese, Japanese, or Korean it isn’t possible to set up “Hey Siri”. (41188020) Workaround: Set up Hey Siri before updating to iOS 12 beta 2, or set up Hey Siri using a different device signed into the same iCloud account.
- Siri might produce unexpected responses to “Where is my…” queries. (39531873)
- Assigning a value to a parameter which begins with a capital letter throws NSUnknownKeyException. (40464710)
- When performing a shortcut in Siri, custom responses won’t be included in the confirmation dialog text which Siri reads. (40562557)
- PresentingaUIImagePickerControllermightcausetheapptobeterminatedwitha privacy violation if the app does not include the NSMicrophoneUsageDescription key in its Info.plist. (40490417)
- Voice Memos might not sync between devices even when enabled via Settings > iCloud > iCloud Drive > Voice Memos. (39701488)
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.