Whether you’re in a group iMessage or SMS, the notifications can be insane at times. In certain situations, you don’t want to leave the group, especially when its family, but at the same time you don’t want to keep getting spammed with notifications. So, there’s the next best thing: Do Not Disturb for individual message threads.
DND for Messages lets you mute individual threads without muting all of your incoming notifications. Follow along as we walk you through how to enable DND for individual message threads.
iPhone & iPad: How to use Do Not Disturb for Messages
- Open the Messages app on iPhone or iPad.
- Tap into the message thread in question.
- In iOS 11 or earlier tap the i icon in the top right. In iOS 12 or later, tap the avatars at the top to show more details and then tap info.
- Flip the switch next to Hide Alerts.
DND for Messages is a great tool if there’s a specific thread (single or group) that is sending way too many notifications while you’re busy. Unlike leaving a group message, you can still reply and interact after enabling this feature.
For more help getting the most out of your Apple devices, check out our how to guide as well as the following articles:
- Mac: How to delete a user on macOS
- iOS: How to leave a group iMessage
- iPhone & iPad: How to forget wireless networks
- iPhone: How to toggle Call waiting
- Mac: How to lock screen
- iPhone: How to hide Caller ID
- Mac: How to forget wireless networks
- iPhone & iPad: How to enable data roaming
- iPhone: How to disable volume buttons from changing ringtones and text alerts
- watchOS 5: How to force Walkie-Talkie to re-appear
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.