Waze Carpool has widely rolled out today as a new ride sharing solution from the popular Google-owned navigation app. After first becoming available in California last year, it is now live in all 50 states.
Whoosh! Screen Cleaner
Waze announced the news in a press release today.
Beginning today, Waze Carpool will be available in all 50 states, making the most out of drives happening anyway and helping drivers and riders save time, money, and the environment while decreasing congestion.
The company notes that almost 250 million cars are projected to be on US roads in under two years and believes Waze Carpool will help “reverse this negative trend by encouraging drivers to fill the empty seats and ultimately take cars off the road.”
Waze has already teamed up with cities, transit agencies, businesses, and more to promote the new ride sharing option. Notably, Waze Carpool will be an option at 50 Amazon Fulfillment Centers across the country.
Here’s how Waze Carpool works:
- Choose your fellow carpoolers: Riders or drivers choose their carpool buddies based on profiles, star ratings, number of mutual friends, and customizable filters such as gender, coworker or classmate, and proximity to preferred route.
- Optimized routes: Using Waze real-time traffic updates and industry-first HOV routing, riders and drivers enjoy the fastest route, every time.
- Reduced commute costs: With all payments handled securely through the app, riders pay for an affordable ride while drivers get reimbursed for gas.
- Scheduling rides up to seven days in advance: This makes planning the week’s commute easier than ever.
- Carpool Groups: Set up customizable groups of people you know and trust, making it easy to connect with your friends (and their friends!) to arrange carpools.
Waze is offering some incentives to get both drivers and riders going with the platform. Drivers can earn up to $200 in cash with a max of 10 referrals and riders can earn up to $200 of Waze Carpool credit for the same.
Also, as a limited time promotion “all new riders enjoy $2 for 21 days.” Check out the new Waze Carpool website for more details.
- Waze navigation now works with CarPlay
- How to replace Apple Maps with Waze on CarPlay
- Waze bringing roadside SOS button to European drivers