After Google Maps landed on CarPlay with iOS 12, Waze has now become officially available as a navigation option with Apple’s in-car platform as well. Follow along for how to replace Apple Maps with Waze on CarPlay.
Whoosh! Screen Cleaner
Waze is a popular choice for navigation with its smart routing features based around crowdsourcing data from its users. Known for its real-time traffic reports, users get alerts on upcoming police officers, construction, accidents, and more.
It also features the ability to toggle a light or dark mode and change the appearance of your “car” in the app.
How to replace Apple Maps with Waze on CarPlay
- Make sure you’re running iOS 12 on your iPhone and Waze version 4.43.4 or higher
- Open Settings
- Tap General then CarPlay
- Choose your vehicle
- Swipe to the second page of apps, tap and hold on Waze, and move it to the Home screen
Here’s a more detailed walkthrough of the process:
Once you’ve chosen your vehicle, you can move Apple Maps to the second page of apps if you’d like. Then swipe over to see Waze as an option, tap, hold and slide it to the Home screen as shown below.
The same steps apply if you’d like to use Google Maps as your primary navigation app with CarPlay.
For more help getting the most out of your Apple devices, check out our how to guide as well as the following iOS 12 tutorials:
- iOS 12: How to use the ARKit Measure app on iPhone
- iOS 12: How to customize Grouped Notifications
- iOS 12: How to use Screen Time on iPhone and iPad
- iOS 12: How to set up Screen Time as a parent on a child’s iPhone or iPad
- iOS 12: How to create Memoji on iPhone X
- iOS 12: How to markup, add effects, and edit photos and videos in Messages on iPhone
- iOS 12: How to toggle USB Accessories
- iOS 12: How to use enhanced battery statistics
- iOS 12: How to access Photos in the Messages app