Apple has released a Mail Update for Mavericks that is designed to resolve many of the bugs that users of the OS X Mavericks Mail application have experienced since launch.

Mail Update for Mavericks includes improvements to general stability and compatibility with Gmail, including the following:

• Fixes an issue that prevents deleting, moving, and archiving messages for users with custom Gmail settings
  • Addresses an issue that may cause unread counts to be inaccurate
  • Includes additional fixes that improve the compatibility and stability of Mail

The update was released to Apple employees last week, and subsequently to registered Mac Developers earlier this week. The update is in the form of a patch to the Mail update already in Mavericks.

Instructions on installing the update, below:

• You should back up your system before installation. To do this you can use Time Machine.
  • You may experience unexpected results if you have third-party system software modifications installed, or if you’ve modified the operating system through other means.
  • Choose Apple menu () > Software Update to check for the latest Apple software via the Mac App Store, including this update.Other software updates available for your computer may appear, which you should install. Note that an update’s size may vary from computer to computer when installed using Software Update. Also, some updates must be installed prior to others. Use Software Update until it reports “No Updates Available”.
  • Do not interrupt the installation process once you have started to update your system.

You can also download the manual update installer. This is a useful option when you need to update multiple computer, but only want to download the update once. Standalone installers are available from Apple Support Downloads.

26 Responses to “Apple releases fix for OS X Mavericks Gmail bugs to customers”

1. PMZanetti says:

Keep it coming. An iOS 7.0.4 would finish my week nicely too.

2. tigerpork says:

Could Apple at least update their mail icon. It looks dated.

3. They need to fix the mirroring to Apple TV bug. Makes Airplay useless for many (most?): https://discussions.apple.com/message/23492565#23492565

4. Didn’t fix a damn thing for me. When I file emails away into folders they STILL pop back up in my Inbox for a minute before being moved permanently.

5. Won’t install for me.

6. My mac is so slow since my update I hate it

7. Mail app was working sporadically before, now after the update it’s not working at all.

8. tpetaccia says:

After updating, all new eMail was going directly to Trash (and marked ‘Read’) .. a restart corrected the issue.

Just a heads up.

9. binly says:

Still broken for me: Mail will start up, and then crash after about 5 seconds. Have reinstalled mavericks, edited the library folder/preferences, everything.

10. i have three gmail accounts and an Exchange account all coming into Apple Mail and not issues. Everything is being filed correctly without dups. I just don’t understand how people are having issues, even with this update. The bitch level is beyond stupid at times.

• Do you have All Mail on or off?

• Sean Hanford says:

Eric, nice that you are fortunate to have success with the way you happen to use the application. You may not be using the same features that others are, and therefore aren’t experiencing any problems. I don’t bitch whatsoever, I look for solutions. Nonetheless, I too am still experiencing issues where my VIP boxes don’t show any emails and that right there is a dealbreaker enough for me as the search in Mail sucks. If I restart and still cannot get the VIP boxes to work, I’m going to permanently switch to AirMail, as I have been using it for the past week while waiting for the update, and I have to tell you I think it is 10X better than Mail as-is, and it only costs $1.99 in the App Store.
      Regardless, people are always going to voice their opinion, just as you did, but to call it stupid is really just showing your ignorance and lack of understanding or compassion for others that use these forums to share information and get help.

• pbranham says:

That’s nice that yours is fixed, but it’s pretty uncalled for to say that everyone else is stupidly bitching about something that’s out of their control.

• Erick,
      I am pleased with your success. As a long time Mac user and Mail fan, as well as software writer and developer, I am happy to report that this update might very well be Apple’s Vista moment. The reason you see a “bitch level beyond stupid” is that this is an awful update for a VERY large percent of users. Talking to other developers and to Apple employees, they are in a near panic over the on going problems. You can also rest assured that the “bitch level” will be kept VERY HUSH-HUSH at Apple and on their forums. They are constantly removing complaints.
      Again, congratulations for being one of the lucky ones, but attacking others with name calling is a little like telling someone with the flu that it’s make believe because you feel fine.

11. The update didn’t solve anything … It’s not possible to change the checks in SPAM, DRAFT, ecc. and Gmail is slower than before.

12. pbranham says:

Didn’t fix a thing. Doesn’t update when you read or delete messages on another device, and doesn’t put things where they belong. This didn’t change anything.

13. Jen Rigg says:

It’s driving me nuts! I have 2 Gmail accounts and my old hotmail account that I monitor so I don’t miss anything, and Gmail is the bane of my life at the moment. I send stuff for a doctor I work for and it goes from my personal email, or, more often, vice versa. So my family and friends are totally confused and it makes me look an idiot. Help!

14. John Martin says:

It can take hours, even under the update, for new Gmail to show up in Mac mail (though it shows up pretty much instantaneously on iOS devices). Getting weary of something new being broken every time there’s a new OS. How about leaving well enough alone, Apple?

15. Sean Hanford says:

I am curious if anybody has seen any improvement? When I started having issues with Apple Mail, I switched to AirMail and haven’t had the confidence to switch back to Mail. I have years and thousands of emails in my multiple gMail accounts. I don’t want to use something that doesn’t work, or for that matter, doesn’t deliver email on time. I do like Mail, but Airmail has proven to be rather useful in Mail’s absence.

• Sean,
      I am sorry to say there have been no improvements. Mail is sooo slow its almost unusable.
      Best of luck with Airmail. I found it slow as well, but am going back to it shortly. Anything is better than Apple’s Mail. It drags my entire MacBook Pro (only 2-1/2 years old) to hits knees speed wise. I can’t tell you how many times I have to force quit my MacBook Pro now just to kill MAIL.

16. Nonsense. I am running the latest version of Apple Mail under OS X 10.9.2 and it is a disaster. Fortunately, PostBox is seamless and automatically indexes all folders.