Screen Shot 2013-11-14 at 12.13.05 PM

Following redesigns of many of its other applications, Apple has completely redesigned its iBooks application for iOS 7. The new iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch app follows the design aesthetic of the bundled Newsstand application, and also includes a completely redesigned iBookstore. The free update is available via the App Store now. For fans of the page curl effect in iBooks, you will be happy to know that it has not been removed.

Apple has also completely redesigned its iTunes U application, an app for downloading and managing education content. Both apps include redesigned icons:

Screen Shot 2013-11-14 at 12.17.56 PM

New iBooks for iPad:

Screen Shot 2013-11-14 at 12.13.10 PM

Are you happy with the new design?

29 Responses to “Apple revamps design of iBooks and iTunes U for iOS 7 on iPad & iPhone”

1. itunesu got updated too

2. weakguy says:

Page curl effect is still there? Yes! Woo!

3. DubTheDJ says:

Really glad to see the page curl animation lives on. Think it looks great and was something I would of really missed. I liked the old iBooks app and hoping the changes aren’t too drastic. Seems like a nice update.

4. rogifan says:

The world can breath a sigh of relief…animated page turns weren’t removed from iBooks.

5. I guess that leaves Find My Friends as the last app standing without an iOS 7 update (if you don’t include the Keynote Remote which hasn’t had any attention beyond a price drop in the last few years).

6. So happy they didn’t go too far, curl effect, sepia tone – i love these features. Now – get back to your messed-up Mavericks iBooks

7. tallestskil says:

Well, they’re horrible. Great.

8. Now all we need is Find my Friends. Please don’t cancel it Apple! I don’t think a lot of people are aware of its functionality.

9. I was wrong – they did remove some “book” effects. Like – next pages being stacked on the sides, having a centre of the book in the landscape mode… sad(

10. Still those ginormous page margins on the iPad…. ugghhh

11. Good update. If the iBooks on the Mac can be updated as well, for us to edit/update titles of books and PDF’s, then it would be great!

12. Becky Reid says:

We miss the bookshelf look and wish they would change back , it’s ok to realise you made a mistake! :)

13. No words on Find My Friends….they might be discontinuing it…

14. Terrible… Cold, plain, zero imagination… boring…

• Why in the world would anyone want to buy the Jony Ive’s biography! The features that make iOS 7 great, aren’t the looks! The removal or update of some ui elements made it easier for developers to bring forth their visions. But for the most part, those visions are vibrant and full of life, iOS 7 ui, not so much.

Last time I checked, most people who aren’t blind like color and things that are discernible from other objects! Is everything in Ive’s house stark white!?! I bet not!

I prefer not to waste time hunting for things that were previously obvious and easy to find. I can’t be the only one who finds himself overlooking frequently used app icons, just because they aren’t easily recognizable.

15. They totally ripped off Google Play Books ;-)

16. Avenged110 says:

Well, that poll just proves that everyone has terrible taste ha

17. Jake says:

No I am not happy with the new design. I like the wood on the bookshelf as it was. The white clean design is ugly.
    I will not update on my iPad.

18. hmurchison says:

They look kind of boring now.

19. Steve Mason says:

Hate it. Looks cheap and unfinished.