AirPlay Display

Update: The document originally recommended disabling Bluetooth, but it appears updating to the latest version of OS X is Apple’s recommended fix. Much better.

In a support document issued today, Apple addressed a known issue with AirPlay Mirroring performance freezing or dropping out. MacBook Pro and Mac Pro users with last year’s models may see the issue when using an 802.11 b/g network…

Apple’s solution? Disable Bluetooth. For Mac Pro users, that means breaking out the wired mouse and keyboard as it has no integrated input and turning off Bluetooth means disconnecting the signal from a Magic Mouse and Apple Wireless Keyboard.

Since the issue seems to be constrained to 802.11 b/g networks, upgrading your network base station might be a better solution.

22 Responses to “Apple acknowledges AirPlay Mirroring issue with new Mac Pros & MacBook Pros”

1. Roni Btesh says:

Have the same issue on Mac Mini.

2. who streams via airplay and uses a b/g network? if you can afford the latest macbook you can afford a new router!!

3. My late 2013 Macbook Pro has been having 802.11 b/g issues in general and not just with Airplay. I noticed through Speedtest.net that my wifi speed was halving with each Bluetooth device I connected. I hope a patch is in the works. I can confirm that turning off Bluetooth or only connecting to 802.11n wifi are workarounds that avoid this issue.

• Edgar Rios says:

I also have WiFi issues after waking up from sleep on my late 2013 MBPr. It gets quite annoying after a while, hope they acknowledge this soon considering these are $2K+ machines.

• Oflife says:

Me too on my late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina 15″. In fact, just today, I was forced to go buy an Ethernet cable and use up one of my two (already used by monitor/LaCie Thunderbolt Time Machine drive) Thunderbolt ports as an Ethernet port to connect to our router. Right away, I was blown away by the speed. Been having WiFi issues for ages, and never realised it was Bluetooth (thought it was something next door interfering!) until I read all these articles. Apple need to sort this, because it’s more and an inconvenience. A colleague says it may be caused by an all-in-one WiFi/Bluetooth chip that Apple may have used to save money. This could be catastrophic if it cannot be sorted by a firmware update.

4. Rob Smithson says:

ahhhh AirPlay….”it just works”….when it does…which is not a lot, and not consistently.

5. Brett Huhn says:

IM having the same issue with my MacBook Air Mid-2013

6. The problem I’ve been seeing seems to happen consistently in conference room mode. Basically you get disconnected after a few minutes of inactivity, regardless of screen saver settings, etc..

7. ikir says:

B/G network? LOOOL and this is news?

8. oomu (@oomu) says:

it’s not surprising to have issues with at same time wifi B/G and bluetooth.

and there were no needs to wait Apple to inform us or to even own a mac to know that. Both technos can, at time, makes conflict.

Airplay mirroring is of course very intensive for wifi G, no need to waste radio frequencies for extra noise with bluetooth.

BT and Wifi N 5ghz don’t use same frequencies at all, of course it works way better.

9. Luis Lopes says:

This is the decade of “issues” for apple.

Issues everywhere. Maps, ios7, Mavericks, Airplay, Mail…. I guess this guys wont stop doing mistakes until the day Apple Stocks reach 400$. What are you doing guys?!?! Replicating success used to be IBM`s way of doing things! :/

10. I have a 2012 Mac Book Pro and the Air Play mirroring was working just fine on Mountain Lion. Once I upgraded to Mavericks the Mirroring didn’t seem to be as smooth as it used to be and extended desktop at the moment is a joke.

11. How about acknowledging the speaker issue with iPad mini retina???????????

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

12. I have the same issue on my MacBook Pro Mid 2012, my router is an Airport Express and set to 2.5GHz configured on N channel only.

• Same here…I think the part about it only being limited to A/B/G is totally wrong. I’m on 802.11N exclusively (I’ve disabled all of the other bands on my access points) and the issue still happens when I airplay mirror to my Apple TV.

13. Paul Nielsen says:

MBPr late 2013 – airplay works perfectly, always to my AppleTV. I’m using a Buffalo 802.11 A network. So using a newer wifi router may be the trick.

14. This doesn’t sound right…I only use 802.11N and I have the issue…disabling bluetooth DOES help, but I don’t think this is just limited to a/b/g WiFi…..