Screenshot 2014-08-11 15.46.19

While most of the Apple-watching world has its sights focused on the next iPhone, Apple has put next-generation versions of the iPad into production. That’s according to Bloomberg News, which says that the new full-sized iPad Air model will be announced later this quarter or early next quarter and that the new 7.9-inch model will hit the market by the end of the year:

Mass production of a full-sized iPad with a 9.7-inch screen is already under way, with an unveiling projected for the end of this quarter or early next, said two of the people, who asked not to be identified because the details aren’t public. A new version of the 7.9-inch iPad mini is also entering production and will probably be available by the end of the year, they said.

As for what the new iPads will feature, faster A8 processors, Touch ID fingerprint scanners, and improved cameras are all likely on the agenda. But Bloomberg today adds a previously unknown nugget into the mix: new anti-reflective coating that could make the new iPad Air easier to read. No word on if the Mini will too get this updated screen, but apparently this makes the new model more difficult to build.

The iPad’s usability in sunlight, of course, has previously been poked fun at by Amazon:

11 Responses to “Bloomberg says new iPads (with anti-reflective coating) go into production”

1. rettun1 says:

I’d be surprised if the anti reflective coating didn’t make it to the Mini, that size and weight makes it a much better reading device I think

2. This is interesting news. I wonder if some of those Amazon/Samsung ads attacking the readability of the iPads screen played a factor in this addition. Either way, if true, it’ll be a great bonus on the new iPad(s).

3. Stetson says:

I wonder if part of that might be laminating the LCD to the front glass. This has been done in iPhones since the iPhone 4 and now in the iMacs, but not in the iPads.

4. I’m waiting for this for so long after get used to the iPhone 5 touch and display sensor in 1 and my ipad keeps on reflect the light source above when using and it’s super annoying…

5. drtyrell969 says:

Good news.

6. lagax says:

I have never had Problems with sunlight on any iDevice… ^^

7. Looks like its about time I upgraded from my 3rd gen iPad. I’ve been waiting for Touch ID to upgrade and the anti-reflective coating is definitely a very welcome upgrade in addition to that because I have been in situations when I’ve been sitting outside on a sunny day with my iPad and affected by glare.

• Dan Eaton says:

same here. I was disappointed with the Air announcement last year. Whilst it’s lighter and a bit faster the lack of TouchID was enough for me to hold off on the upgrade from my 3rd Gen. Also an anti-reflective coating is something I have wanted since I bought the 1st Gen, if this makes it in then an upgrade is definite. Looks like it’s time to change my docking system.

• Dafty Punk says:

I had the iPad2 at release, and bought the iPad3 at release also (loved the screen). The iPad3 is sadly considered a dog product from Apple. Heavy, battery killer, slow…. It wasn’t ready for prime time according to almost everyone (which is why the iPad4 came out only about 8 months later…. I for one love my iPad3. I’ve been meaning to upgrade but each time a new model comes out I don’t see enough to merit spending another $600-$700… I totally understand why iPad sales are down. The lifespan of these tablets is much longer then a phone. We still have my parents iPad1 floating around the living room as a quick web surfing device in a pinch. It’s not the best but it still runs fine….

At this point I think the fabled 12″ iPad is the only thing I could see upgrading to. I’d love a larger screen.