IMDb, the unofficial resume for everyone and everything Hollywood, just announced its iOS and Android apps have experienced more than 40 million total downloads. The iOS counterpart claimed half of those downloads, and IMDb is celebrating with today’s launch of “highly anticipated discovery, personalization and social features.”
Version 2.7 now includes:
- – Movies & TV shows: check in and share what you are watching to Facebook and Twitter
- – Message Boards: access general boards, or dive into discussions about your favorite people, movies, and shows
- – Filming Locations & Soundtracks: find even more IMDb data to satisfy your curiosity
- – More Like This: discover new movies and shows while you browse
- – Watchlist: tap the plus sign on posters to build your Watchlist
- – TV shows: easily dive into each season, and tap ‘previous’ and ‘next’ to browse through episodes
- – Your History: long-press on the Back button from any page to access pages you’ve recently viewed
- – Various bug fixes and performance improvements
The IMDb Movies & TV app is a free app at the App Store. It rates 4 stars, based on more than 112,000 reviews, as of press time.
The press release is below.
- Facebook releases SDK 3.0 Beta with iOS 6 integration & new iOS Dev Center (9to5mac.com)
- Amazon is building a phone to compete with iOS and Android (9to5mac.com)
- Apple releases new universal iOS app, Podcasts (9to5mac.com)
- Latest Mountain Lion update brings iOS-like automatic downloads for apps (9to5mac.com)
- IMDb’s iOS and Android Apps Have Now Been Downloaded More Than 40 Million Times
- Just-Launched Updates to IMDb’s Movies & TV Apps for iOS and Android Include Most Requested Discovery, Personalization and Social Features
- SEATTLE, Jul 12, 2012 (BUSINESS WIRE) — IMDb, the world’s most popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity content, today announced that its popular Movies & TV apps for iOS and Android have each been downloaded more than 20 million times for a total of more than 40 million. Over the last 5 months, monthly visits to IMDb’s mobile optimized website and apps have exceeded 150 million per month. Additionally, IMDb announced the launch of highly anticipated discovery, personalization and social features for its iOS and Android apps, including mobile-optimized message boards, check-ins, similarities, film locations and soundtracks. To learn more and download IMDb’s free apps, go to: http://www.imdb.com/apps/
- “Today’s announcement reflects growing customer demand for discovery, personalization and social functionality on their favorite mobile apps,” said Col Needham, IMDb’s founder and CEO. “Given that IMDb.com’s message boards generate more than 2.5 billion page views annually, it’s no surprise that mobile-optimized message boards were our #1 customer request. Beginning today, more than 40 million movie, TV and celebrity fans — and counting — will enjoy mobile message boards, check-ins, similarities and more when using IMDb’s apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices.”
- Additionally, IMDb’s app for iOS has an improved TV experience, making it even easier to find and share the latest episodes. Users of IMDb’s app for Android devices can now log in using their Amazon account information. Other popular IMDb.com features available in IMDb’s Android app update include personalized recommendations, Metacritic and movie locations (fans can now see the locations of their favorite movies and then directly open a map to visit them).
- To learn more and download IMDb’s free apps, go to: http://www.imdb.com/apps/
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.