[vimeo http://www.vimeo.com/51841853 w=600&h=381]
A few apps updated, went on sale, or made announcements recently, and 9to5Mac gathered the most noteworthy ones in our regular round up below. Today’s selection includes a new app by Mosaic and Yobongo, updates to popular action-packed games, and a couple huge price drops. Per usual, we will continue to update this list throughout the day.
1. Mosaic | Not yet live Mixbook, a scrapbook, calendar, and photobook company, acquired chat service Yobongo earlier this year, and the two forces have been working on an iOS project, called “Mosaic,” that unveiled at 12 p.m. EST today (video above). 9to5Mac was able to get a sneak peak:
Mosaic is basically a product app that lets users build and create formatted photo albums from images stored on their iOS devices. The app’s UI is clean, fast, and fluid, and the limited options provide an easy “1,2,3-step” experience. Simply select the photos, choose a mat color preference, and then place the order.
The Mosaic photobook costs roughly $20, but it ships fast, arrives in sturdy, eye-pleasing packaging, and the entire product feels very high in quality. In fact, when I created my Mosaic, I chose low-lit, grainy, blown-up pictures, because I wanted to see how well the images would appear after going through Mixbook’s printing press. Much to my surprise—they came out crisp, clear, and stunningly vivid (pictures below).
While Mosaic is just an app for putting digital images into a nicely printed photobook, its user-experience and caliber of artisanship make it certainly worth noting. Check it out: www.HeyMosaic.com
More updates and price drops below.
- Apps & updates: Streamweaver, Opera Mini, CoPilot Live, DataMan, Twittelator (9to5mac.com)
- Apps & updates: Netflix, Shazam, Bad Piggies, OmniFocus, more (9to5mac.com)
- Missing all the features of Google Maps? Get them back in iOS 6 with these third-party apps (9to5mac.com)
- App Store updated within iOS 6: new search result layout, Genius recommendations turned on and more (9to5mac.com)
1. Action Movie FX | Free Version 2.1 rolled out last night with exclusive access to four effects inspired by Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (Hellstorm missle, EMP, Dragonfire Drones, and the Claw). Additional updates include:
- Optimized for iPhone 5 & iPad!
- Audio/video bug fixes including for iOS5 on iPad
- Free, one-step update to HD of all previously purchased FX!
2. Kroger Co. | Free Retail chain Kroger Co. pushed out version 7.1 of its app today with the following updates:
- Optimized for iPhone 5 and iOS 6
- Find Kroger Fuel Locations and Kroger Affiliate Fuel Locations
- Locate Kroger affiliated convenience store.
- Sign up for personalized offers like digital coupons and exclusive promotions
- Fonts and color updates to make the app more visually appealing
- Miscellaneous user experience improvements and bug fixes
3. Modern Combat 3: Fallen Nation | 99 cents Version 1.4.0 hit the App Store today with a security fix to “kick speed hackers.”
4. Dropbox | Free Version 1.5.6 is now live, and it includes support for the iPhone 5, full-size photos used when printing and saving to the camera roll, bug fixes, and improved support for iOS 6.
- SimCity™ Deluxe for iPad | 99 cents (was $6.99)
- Flick Home Run ! | Free (was 99 cents)
- Flick Home Run ! HD | 99 cents (was $1.99)
- Noteshelf | $2.99 (was $5.99)
- Modern Combat 3: Fallen Nation | 99 cents (was $6.99)
- Need For Speed™ Undercover | 99 cents (was $2.99)
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.