TomTom used to have a handful of paid apps, each specific to a region. The app covering just the U.S., for example, was $45. But today it’s making its premium navigation services free for iPhone users everywhere for the first 50 miles or 75km of use. The new freemium model comes as the company consolidates its TomTom apps for each region under a new, redesigned app simply called TomTom Go Mobile.
The best 4K & 5K displays for Mac
Your free miles in the app will get refilled each month, and those that drive more often can pay to upgrade to unlimited. Customers of the old TomTom apps will get a free upgrade to TomTom Go Mobile unlimited. The upgrades to unlimited miles are available as in-app purchases for €19.99 for 1 year or €44.99 for three years, similar to pricing for TomTom’s mobile apps before the new free app.
The new app packs in features from the company’s previous apps, but it also includes a global map license, meaning you’ll be able to use it across 150 countries where supported. It also includes offline maps and TomTom’s real-time traffic features, all of which are available to both free and paid users.
The company noted that the new app’s user interface (pictured above) is modelled after its popular TomTom GO satnav unit.
You can download the free TomTom Go Mobile app from the App Store now. A full list of features in the app below:
- World Maps: Install and update maps from around the world at no extra cost.***
- TomTom Traffic: Always know where delays are and whether a faster route is available.
- Speed Cameras: Drive more relaxed with speed camera alerts, trusted by millions of TomTom drivers.****
- Offline Maps: Maps are stored on your device so you don’t need internet access or data roaming to plan a route.
- Points of Interest: From gas stations to hotels, your app comes pre-loaded with millions of useful POIs.
- Quick search: Find destinations faster with Quick Search. It starts finding locations as soon as you start typing.
- Navigate to Copied Addresses: Easily select locations you found on websites or other apps by copying their address and pasting it into Quick Search.
- Tap and go: Tap on your favourite destination on the map, and you’re on your way.
- Advanced Lane Guidance: Clearly see which lane to take at key junctions.