Apple today is releasing the iOS 13.5 and iPadOS 13.5 GM to developers. This follows an evolving beta testing period, with updates to Face ID and the first version of Apple’s COVID-19 Exposure Notification API. A release to the public is expected soon, perhaps as soon as later this week.
What’s new in iOS 13.5? The update includes the basis of Apple and Google’s new Exposure Notification API for COVID-19 contact tracing. There are also changes to Face ID and FaceTime:
- iOS 13.5 beta makes it easier to skip Face ID if you’re wearing a mask
- Apple releases iOS 13.5 beta with first version of its COVID-19 exposure notification API
- Busy Group FaceTime call? iOS 13.5 lets you turn off automatic face zooming
In the release notes, Apple says the update also makes bug fixes for streaming video, the Mail app on iPad, and the share sheet.
Here are the full release notes for the update:
iOS 13.5 speeds up access to the passcode field on devices with Face ID when you are wearing a face mask and introduces the Exposure Notification API to support COVID-19 contact tracing apps from public health authorities. This update also introduces an option to control automatic prominence of video tiles on Group FaceTime calls and includes bug fixes and other improvements.
Face ID and Passcode
- Simplified unlock process for devices with Face ID when you are wearing a face mask
- Passcode field automatically presented after swiping up from the bottom of the Lock screen when you are wearing a face mask
- Also works when authenticating with the App Store, Apple Books, Apple Pay, iTunes, and other apps that support signing in with Face ID
- Exposure Notification API to support COVID-19 contact tracing apps from public health authorities
- Option to control automatic prominence on Group FaceTime calls so video tiles do not change size when a participant speaks
- Option to automatically share health and other essential information from your Medical ID with emergency services when you place an emergency call (US only)
This update also includes bug fixes and other improvements.
- Fixes an issue where users may see a black screen when trying to play streaming video from some websites
- Addresses an issue in the share sheet where suggestions and actions may not load
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.