Like it has done on several occasions in the past, Samsung is directly mocking Apple in its latest advertisement for the new Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1. The commercial, posted to Samsung’s YouTube page, is a clear parody of Apple’s Pencil ad for the iPad Air that has been airing on TV since Apple debuted it for the introduction of the new tablet in October of last year. Another ad for the Galaxy Note 3 (below) takes on the iPhone’s small screen size.

In the ad, Samsung mentions that Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 has an even thinner body than the iPad Air and also demos multitasking features that aren’t available on iOS. While Samsung doesn’t get into specifics in the video, we know the new Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 measures in at 7.3mm thick. That’ less than a millimeter thinner than the iPad Air at 7.5 mm. The ad also makes references to the Galaxy Tab’s  10.1-inch HD display, which comes in at a resolution of 2560-by-1600 at 299 ppi compared to the iPad Air’s 2048-by-1536 resolution at 264 ppi.

And another new ad from Samsung today puts the new 5.7-inch Galaxy Note 3 up against the much smaller iPhone display:

116 Responses to “Samsung mocks iPad Air & iPhone’s screen size in new Galaxy Tab Pro & Note 3 ads (Video)”

1. tilalabubakr says:

No one make ads the Apple do.

2. ‘Galaxy Tab Pro Tab 10.1′
    Rolls right off the tongue that one.

3. from that angle, the samsung device doesn’t look that thinner…

i would have used other apps to point out multi-tasking. watching a movie and reading/writing e-mail? really?

unless you are writing a movie review… but you only see half the movie…

• Yes. Who wants to compose/read a mail when you are indulged in a movie?
      Samsung, if you want to convince people on productivity, come up with something practical!

• How about this? I’m watching a movie and receive an email. I open my email app, read and reply to the email, and then close it without having to pause the movie, open the email app, send the email, then close the email app and re-open and play the movie.

I’m not saying this is a huge must-have deal or anything, but it’s not useless.

This kind of thinking would say that the feature they added to the youtube app where the current video keeps playing in a small window while you search for other videos is also impractical, yet I ended up really liking it.

• Luis Lopes says:

Its not about why is he doing that! The important is that i can do it if he wants. iOS is a piece of junk when you talk about “multitasking”.

And thats it! iOs is not a multitask plataform, and thats a huge mistake!

4. I never seen a “follow the leader” business strategy being successful in the long run…

5. Aaron Jarvi says:

Shouldn’t Samsung actually do something as well or better than Apple before they run ads mocking them?

6. On a side-note, I really wish Apple had held this “Pencil” marketing angle until they had official hardware stylus support on an iPad Pro (or whatever they might call it if they make one).

• Tallest Skil says:

>>official hardware stylus support

You don’t seem to know much about Apple post 1998, do you?

• thejuanald says:

You don’t seem to understand that a large population wants a tablet that they can use for productivity, rather than just consuming. I would love an iPad that I could use to actually write notes with or draw with. I compare my iPad’s writing/drawing ability with my Surface Pro often and the iPad looks like a toy next to it. I know the Surface Pro has a digitizer and full OS while the stylus I have for the iPad has a huge nib (Wacom Bamboo), but the difference is shocking.

Also, all you do is post negative, insulting things about anybody and everybody who wishes Apple would do something even slightly different than they are. It’s rather ridiculous.

• Tallest Skil says:

>>You don’t seem to understand that a large population wants a tablet that they can use for productivity, rather than just consuming.

Shut up and go away.

• scumbolt2014 says:

You tell ‘em douche nozzle!

• Tallest Skil says:

Shut up and go away.

• ctxppc says:

@thejuanald / @freshpressedguest It’s Apple’s policy to follow their own ways (with a few exceptions), which actually makes them quite unique in the market. A first-party stylus is unlikely, at least for the current product line (iPhone, iPad).

Personally, a stylus is an unhandy way to work. For it to be comfortable, the surface should provide resistance (like paper does and glass does not) and the stylus should be long and thick enough—and preferentially also have comfort zones like those seen on some pens.

Here’s a potential idea: a stylus made of some kind of material (or mini-system) which expands when undocked and contracts when docked (I’m sure the technology can do that) and the back of the iPad used as a writable surface (e-ink and soft surface). I can see though how Apple might not do that: it just doesn’t fit with their simplicity. Pen & paper died, and I don’t have an issue with that.

• “You don’t seem to know much about Apple post 1998, do you?”

I most certainly do. I think YOU’RE the one who doesn’t seem to know much about Apple. Apple will downplay anything they aren’t offering at the time, but embrace it when they feel it’s due and consumers would benefit.

But stay thinking small, bringing up how Jobs mentioned “seeing a stylus means they did it wrong.” Just like he said people didn’t want to watch videos on a small screen. Or how LTE used too much power at the time and networks didn’t support it anyway. Or how “people don’t read any longer.” But video DID come to the iPod, LTE did make it to the iPhone, the iPad became a fantastic e-reader on its introduction, and THAT, my friend – the addition or introduction of a feature when a consumer is the most likely to benefit from it – is FAR more “Apple” than you parading out an old Jobs quote that he likely only said to keep things focused on how powerful the iPad could be, despite not having a stylus.

Like I said: You’re thinking small, and you’re hung up on something Jobs said years ago. Jobs went on to offer many things he downplayed at first, and like I mentioned, I think his original statements were often because Apple wasn’t offering that feature – yet.

• Tallest Skil says:

I’d love to see the capability added for the use of Wacom-quality styluses. But wishing for it direct from Apple is nonsense. It’s 1% of 1% of the market.

• That I can agree with, although I wish it would play out against the odds. I use Wacom cintiqs for my projects and I’d love to see more than the current stylus implementations the iPad has, although the Adonit BT stylus I have is pretty good with drawing/illustration apps I use on my iPad.

I like to think that Apple will do what they sometimes do, which is bring people to the idea, like they did with GarageBand, which at the time, seemed like it came from nowhere. But during the keynote, Jobs said their research showed that one out of every two houses had someone that played an instrument in it. Maybe that sort of adventurous gamble will cause hardware stylus support to be added to a “pro” iPad.

• scumbolt2014 says:

Go fuck yourself know it all.

• Tallest Skil says:

Yeah, people are going to support you.

• scumbolt2014 says:

Tallest Shit. The internets biggest tool.

• thejuanald says:

“And you’re too brain dead to understand that the iPad offers just that. You are an idiot. Not an insult: a statement of fact. Tens of millions of people in business use the iPad. Nothing else could be used. Nothing else exists that can do that work for them.

Shut up and go away.”

The iPad does not offer anything near that. The Surface Pro does, however. What’s great about the iPad is it’s ease of use for consumption. It’s a joke for productivity. I sincerely wish people like you did not exist. You’re a person who is of below average intelligence who’s convinced that he is a genius. That’s one of the worst combinations of aptitude and attitude. I used to be annoyed by you, now I’m just sad for you.

• Tallest Skil says:

Sure thing. I guess that’s why no one is buying Surface for business, while everyone’s buying iPads.

The publicly released numbers and use stats prove every word you’ve said is a lie.

Get bent, you pathetic waste of advertising money.

• thejuanald says:

I guess being an engineer and working for one of the largest companies in the world in my field means nothing. Ask anyone here to switch to Macs and iPads and watch everyone laugh for hours.

You’re just stuck in your own little corner of the world and nothing anybody enlightens you to will ever change that. Oh well, I wish you the best, great internet troll.

You really should stop being such an angry person, though. I can just picture you now, all bloated and red in the face, typing angrily at my comments. A lifetime of that shit will kill you.

• Tallest Skil says:

Sounds more like you don’t even have a point to articulate, even if you could do so.

• thejuanald says:

It looks like you’re too inept to understand my point. It’s okay, maybe when Apple realizes they may need to go back on some of the more ridiculous things Jobs said, and Tim Cook spoon-feeds it to you, you’ll understand. Until then, you’re doing it wrong.

• Tallest Skil says:

Shut up and go away.

• thejuanald says:

Again, the last hope of the inept. Good job making yourself out to be the low class, moron that we all knew you were.

• Tallest Skil says:

The day you have any argument whatsoever will be the day we stop laughing at you.

• thejuanald says:

If you actually believe anyone on this website agree with anything you say, you’re one crazy, sad person. You’re almost universally disliked.

• Tallest Skil says:

Does my heart good to see someone so pathetic as to waste his life on a website he hates about products that he hates.

• thejuanald says:

Here we go again, “Since you don’t think that everything Apple does is the best thing ever, you hate Apple and anything Apple related!” In fact, I am a big Apple fan. My feelings toward you are quite a bit different, however.

• Tallest Skil says:

Hey, enjoy that delusion.

7. mockery17 says:

I don’t think Samsung deserves a mention whenever they create an ad mocking Apple’s ads. Let’s give them no attention at all.

• mockery17 says:

Also I see what Samsung is trying to do here… Gradually try to create a fad of screen sizes that don’t make sense.

• Rumor has it Apple is going to be bringing out 2 new screen sizes, 4.7 and 5.5. Does this mean you will not buy those because there will now be a 4, 4.7, and a 5.5? You know copying Samsung and creating a fad of screen sizes, but still no HD?

8. Lee Shaw says:

“Anything you can do, I can do better.” “No you can’t.” “Yes I can.”

“Well, I can once you show me exactly what and how to do it then I can focus my time refining what you’ve done. And, please please please let me see your watch. I’m stuck on that one.”

9. frankman91 says:

Why can’t people say “hey, I wish my iPad had the ability to do that, but I am still happy to have my iPad over the Sammy for my own personal reasons”.

You may be able to name 1000 reasons you would rather have the an iPad, but being able to multi task is a nice thing; period. A 10″ screen is plenty big to watch something in the background while doing a second thing, I know because I can do it nicely on my S3 which is only 4.8″

And as far as their claim, what is wrong with what they are saying? I personally think its a stupid ad, but people on this forum are always saying how much the love how thin the iPad Air is, so if they are trying to sway users, saying its EVEN THINNER is a good approach.

And Ricardo, the “follow the leader” works in almost every industry, I would claim that its the only reason we ever approach refined products. In automotive the S class Mercedies pioneers 80% of what the rest of the automotive industry sells their cars on 5 years later; fashion designers come up with new high styling, and Target follows up 5 years later with watered down versions of those same items, this is true in so many industries.

I credit Apple with bringing many things to the masses, but to mock a competing product just because its not from the teet of lord Jobs is insane.

• thejuanald says:

A sensible person posting on 9to5Mac? I’m shocked. I also agree with you, completely.

• danbridgland says:

A campaign like Shamsung’s, touting extra thinness over the iPad is a worthless campaign unless it’s backed by strength tests, weight comparisons, battery tests and on and on which pitch it superior to the Air.

Sure Apple could have made an iPad thinner than the Air, such as making it out of flimsy plastic like Shamsung does, or reducing the battery capacity to levels that infuriate the user and keep the device virtually tethered to the wall. The Air represents a great balance of many well considered design and UI choices.

Improved on screen multitasking would be nice. But iOS already has multitasking, a honed process that prioritises battery life over real world/rarely used gimmickry.

10. I love how in all Samsung ads (for the Note 3, then here for this tablet), the example they give for their functions are always stuff no one would use. And apparently that’s the best they can show.

What’s the point in watching a movie and looking at your email at the same time?
    What’s the point in writing a number with a stylus, convert it, open it in the phone app, instead of typing it in the app in the first place.

All this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
    This kind of ad is fueling samdung fans.

11. I honestly wish Apple would go back to the old days of bashing all Samsung’s flaws. I understand the philosophy of not giving them attention. But, I’m tired of the smoke and mirrors.

12. No one buys a samsung tab! They suck

13. Samesung is like Pepsi. They always talk about their competitor, instead of telling the consumer that their product has these awesome features.

14. Good thing the model was moving his fingers real slow, it almost looked like there was no lag.

15. Samsung: Says Apple doesn’t innovate anymore, copies their ad….

16. ovumcerebrum says:

You can’t blame Samsung for trying, but they just suck so bad. They should stick with TVs.. that’s one thing they can do well.

17. lofye says:

>>measures in at 7.3mm thick. That’ just a few millimeters thinner than the iPad Air at 7.5 mm.

That’s less than 1 millimeter, actually, not a few millimeters.
    It’s two tenths of 1 millimeter difference.

18. Gary Frost says:

I’m sure there are all kinds of wonderful things the Galaxy can do just like the “what ever Microsoft calls it” The reality is style and penuche always communicates more than “speeds and feeds”. Apple tends to open its ad campaign with a modest appeal to the technology then on to the “elegance”. After ads just don’t have the appeal to the mass market or even the more sophisticated market. Apple puts a lot of money into things like customer support and things that matter. For me customer support has been excellent compared to other products. I’m sure experiences vary, but it is the Apple ecco-system that also sells. It’s the name that says class to the mass market. Who cares if you have a galaxy under your arm? Microsoft should change its name, seriously. Apple has that appeal. Microsoft could even change it’s name to “Bob’s Stuff” and that would be better. Apple has the name that conveys that special appeal

19. truth42 says:

Yes but can you connect this thing to your Mac and actually sync the fucker without pulling your hair out in frustration? Trying to sync Android with a Mac using kies is a world of pain.

20. David Tan says:

Samsung UI animation and execution are laggy. Just don’t like it..

21. People that still believe in their multitasking are real optimists – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_multitasking

22. scumbolt2014 says:

Another piece of shit (product and commercial) from ScamScum

23. Scott Adams says:

The words “Samsung” and “pathetic” are becoming more and more interchangeable.

24. Barry Wulfe says:

Let’s not mention the fact that the Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 case is primarily plastic (with faux-leather textured plastic back) while the iPad Air is a machined unibody aluminum housing. Build Quality, what’s that??

While it’s processing power is far from state of art, my original iPad (1st Generation) still functions great and remains in excellent condition. (it comes in handy as a backup unit around the house); while I am still getting great use out of my 2 1/2 year old iPad (3rd Generation). To my knowledge; Samsung tablets / phones don’t have the longevity of Apple’s. I’m just hoping that Apple integrates Touch-ID into the next generation; which will be when I’ll be ready to upgrade & pass my current unit onto a family member.

25. ovumcerebrum says:

Won’t fit in your jeans pocket, but whatever, you can carry it in your purse… though everyone will think you’re a bull dike when you pull out your toaster-sized phone.

26. b9bot says:

And the battery life sucks, and the apps are only expanded phone apps which look crappy to begin with. And as usual it’s just a copy of what Apple has done already.

27. danbridgland says:

iPad showing a letter boxed movie… Anyone else think it’s more than a little deceiving to suggest the iPad display is smaller than it actually is? The truth is the two devices have very different dimensions.

Hey Shamsung, how about you spin those devices into portrait, let’s see which device presents the movie largest on screen then?

28. Tao Jones says:

chicken poo comparison using an aspect ratio on the graphic that leaves 15% of the i-pad screen black giving the impression that the galaxy screen is the same size. PLUS you have to task before you can multi task calling a menu is not really a big deal if theres nothing on the menu that really works .

29. I think a lot of you guys are missing out on good ads (being biased or what not). It’s very clear that Apple is Coke and ol’ Sammy is Pepsi, but don’t think for one second the average consumer wouldn’t find these ads funny or (dare i say) entertaining. Relax people and have a good laugh. These commercials were funny and there is a little bit of truth to them. And this is coming from a guy that has been using an iPhone for the last 6 years.

30. rahhbriley says:

The only remotely interesting feature they talk about is “true” multitasking. The only feature I still want to come to iPad. But, I’m gonna have to agree that the way the show multitasking is kind of stupid. But, I really would love to watch Netflix and surf the web at the same time.

31. Oh Samsung . . . if there wasn’t an iPad you wouldn’t even be making a tablet.

32. herb02135go says:

I’ve not seen the ad so I can only comment on my experience

Being able to multitask is great. I can watch a video while emailing a friend about the video. I can scan Netflix while working on a spreadsheet app. It’s great. Plus the screen size makes each “window” large.

The plastic case? Really? Was there criticism when Apple released it’s plastic products? I personally treat my products as if they cost several hundred dollars, which they typically do.

Neither company makes products that will suit all of us perfectly. I’ve used both Apple and Samsung products – both are fine but the latter is what I currently use- by my own choice.

33. I think it’s funny how the Samsung tablet has EIGHT cores compared to the iPads measly two and has double the RAM but is a mere 5% faster. lol

34. greenbelt2csp says:

And how’s that battery life on that Galaxy Tab Pro Tab 10.1 Tab XR4TI Tab ShitKat Tab Editon S…Tab? Oh right, about half of that iPad Air…maybe if stop multitasking and focus you’d use less battery.

• herb02135go says:

Multitasking is an option. I can do it if/when I please. My choice!

No complaints whatsoever about battery life.

Focus is great, too. The larger screen is crystal clear- I seldom even need my reading glasses- which also have that awful awful plastic.

• And in 6 years, you too can have half the features of KitKat on your iOS device. Keep thinking Apple is innovative… It’s a profite whore, like your image.

35. Luis Lopes says:

I loved it!!

Apple is becoming as mockable as Windows was years ago. Remember Mac Vs. Windows?! Its time they make it that way again!!

36. scumbolt2014 says:

Since ScamScum, their products, advertising and the androids are already a big joke Apple won’t need to mock them…

• herb02135go says:

… because Apple never mocks anyone right? Just every PC user, that is.

To do so would be, what, idiotic?

Maybe Apple should mention its lack of multitasking. It’s shiny metal? Cool packaging?

I think Samsung isn’t just mocking Apple. It’s also mocking its fanboys.

37. that why i’ll never like mobile device from Samsung :D

38. “Microsoft has used a similar strategy in the past by comparing its Surface tablets side-by-side with iPads and pointing out features like multitasking and Office that aren’t available on iPad.”

You mean advertising? lol

39. Samsung is 100% classless, wait until Apple decides to sell an iPhone with a bigger screen size, they won’t be smiling then!

40. Could they have chosen a more annoying voice?

41. “Oh, and we forgot to mention…this tablet costs $750 and is a little laggy when you multitask.”

42. Erik Vabrit says:

Hey Samsung, What if I told you that there are still people who prefer the smaller screen size on a phone. Now I’m not saying the iPhone screen size is perfect and to be honest I would like “a bit” bigger screen but the dimensions of the actual device itself are big enough in my opinion.

43. rakinjannot says:

I’m not going to lie; as much as I don’t think multitasking looks all that helpful and would prefer an iPad Air, that ad was actually pretty hilarious.

“High school students play ceiling darts with it”
    “I’m going to take the Galaxy Tab… and this pencil…”

44. I have a chinese phone. Its got bluetooth, wifi, 3G, 4G, 5G, radio, tv, remote control, can opener. When a plane passes buy it pops up a message, when the wind blows hard, it pops another message. Gee.

45. Kaye Star says:

Samsung can mock Apple all they want. I’m still going for the iPad Air!

If I want to multi-task, that’s what my phone is for!