ios 7.1

In a brief note on Daring Fireball, John Gruber makes a notable connection between Apple’s planned iTunes Festival at SXSW next week and the pending release of iOS 7.1:

Apple’s first iTunes Festival in the U.S. starts a week from today at SXSW in Austin. Apple is going to stream the performances to iOS devices using an app, but I’ve heard from a little birdie that the app requires iOS 7.1 (which explains why the app isn’t out yet). That means iOS 7.1 should ship any day now.

The fifth and most recent developer preview of iOS 7.1 was released four weeks ago from today, and we reported a few days later that the public release was slated for March.

Previous beta releases to developers have shown a few user interface tweaks to iOS as well as improvements to the Calendar app and bug fixes and enhancements.

Apple has since released iOS 7.0.6 with a critical bug fix regarding the now infamous SSL error, but developer builds have not seen the fix as of yet. Apple could be skipping the GM seed for developers and issuing the release to everyone with Gruber’s tidbit and that security fix in consideration.

21 Responses to “Expected iOS 7.1 likely arriving ahead of iTunes Festival at SXSW next week”

1. PMZanetti says:

Tomorrow, please. Tomorrow.

2. Paul Schram says:

I hope they fix the camera bug. Since updating my iPod Touch 5, my forward facing camera won’t work. When I try to flip to the front camera it just freezes.

3. Will it remove the bug that allows “other” to steal data storage capacity?

• silas681 says:

Dude, other is things like photos in you Imessages. It is not a bug

• mustafa1429 says:

Exactly. It’s like iOS 7, background information, and many other things that help speed up your iPhone. To get rid of the majority of your “Other” storage, back up your iPhone to the computer and restore it. Then just restore it from the back up. It cleared up at least 5GB from my iPhone. Try it for yourself.

• Thanks, mustafa1429. I’ll give that a try but it seems like a rather extreme thing to have to do. I’d much rather have an on-device option.

• gastypm says:

I actually have the same problem. My 32gbiPad Air has 8gb free but when I sync it with iTunes it just full my free space with “other” and warns me that I have no space free. But then if I reboot the iPad that “other” disappears and the free space comes back.

• mustafa1429 says:

You’re right, It sure would be much better if you could just go into settings and delete it.

4. CJ Sheets says:

I wonder if it will be released for all iOS devices including iPad as well?

5. I knew Steve was still alive!

6. Hmm.. Calling Steve? Kinda in bad taste guys…

7. Won’t be upgrading no matter how great it is. Not losing my jailbreak. I have too many important business apps that Apple refuses to allow in the store.

8. lmjwoww says:

Asap please! My 5S still has some software issues, and switching between apps still isn’t smooth. Very frustrating.

9. Apple’s process of beta testing and releasing .1 upgrades is too drawn-out. And when they’re released and obvious bugs found within a few hours of the public release it makes you wonder what the hell they’ve been doing for all those weeks. I’d like to see more updates with less of a wait and with new actual features released throughout the year rather than having to wait for the yearly refresh.