fmi

A new feature in Apple’s iOS 8 software might make it easier for users to track down missing or stolen devices. The setting seen above can be found in the Find My iPhone panel of the device’s iCloud settings, and enables the phone to automatically send its last known location to Apple’s iCloud service if the phone’s battery is almost dead.

The data will apparently be stored for 24 hours after the phone’s battery dies, so even if the phone is no longer turned on users can at least have some idea of where it was active.

Of course, there’s still a chance that thieves could just turn off the device before the battery reaches a critical level and avoid being caught by this feature. Perhaps a future update will allow the phone to send this information as part of its regular shutdown process, but for now it’s at least a step in the right direction.

13 Responses to “New iOS 8 feature makes it easier to track missing devices”

1. macmaniman says:

apple needs to add the ability to prevent power down from the lock screen

• towamp says:

I would prefer if the iOS device asks for my passcode for shutdown.

• I agree. This feature is already available in the jailbreak community.

• Agreed. iPhones should also send last known location before turning Airplane Mode on, considering that it can be accessed from the lock screen.

• Tony Kloubek says:

If you’re smart enough, you disable notification centre and mission control on lock screen :-) Disabling powering off is the next logical step. I sincerely can’t understand why is Apple making stuff like Find My iPhone when any clever thief turns the phone off immediately.

• Randy Jantz says:

The reason why Apple makes this stuff available is because not all crooks are all that smart and it may not be stolen, only lost. And since iOS 7, the phone cannot be removed from Find My Phone without the users iTunes password. No matter how you slice it, these features make it the best phone out there. Many, many, many accounts of how these features have resulted in recovered devices, whether they were lost or stolen. Keep it up Apple.

2. Moises Agudo says:

I find what you are all saying is hilarious. Imagine if the thief cant have his way and just destroys the product because of anger. That find my iphone/ipad is pretty much useless then.

3. ibtrackin says:

This has been a joke since day one. It is so on obvious that the iPhone shoul use the same passcode to power down, as it does to unlock.

People don’t turn their phones off much as is, so it not going to be a unconvince. I have had iPad stollen, post iOS 7 and after a week, the morn finally plugged it in to his PC giving the cops an I his location. 2 months later, iPhone stollen. Been 3 months and it was shut down install and to this day, a mystery.

Having a passcode is so easy, it’s my belief it a matter of choice, not a lack of option.

Lost cellphones are a 30 Billion dollar industry. This accounts for the insurance 50% of those who get it, are for lost protection, not damage.

They do enough to make it seem like they are trying, when in reality, find my phone is only useful for finding it in a couch.

• Randy Jantz says:

So not true, pull your head out. There are so many accounts of recovered stolen phones. I’m sorry that yours was not recovered but just because your was not does not make it a bad thing or a joke. It is a great thing and has helped many people. I do agree with several posts, that it would be a good thing to have to enter your password to power down…but what about that rare occasion when the phone is locked so hard you can’t do anything? You will always need to have a way to force the hardware to power off and back on again. Bottom line, you can’t protect against everything but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t protect what you can.

4. What insurance are you talking about?