NEED-TO-know

Apple’s WWDC 2014 keynote was home to plenty of announcements including iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite. There was quite a bit of information covered during the two hour presentation, but luckily we didn’t miss a second of the action.

If you don’t feel like sitting through the entire keynote video, we’ve put together a condensed version to give you the rundown on everything that was announced. Find out all that you need to know about iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite in our keynote recap below…

For specific feature overviews be sure to check out our extended coverage:

23 Responses to “WWDC 2014 keynote recap: Everything you need to know about iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite (Video)”

1. David Berger says:

Could it be, nobody mentioned that the new continuity features only work with newer Macs supporting Bluetooth 4.0?

• Tim Jr. says:

Which is everything from 2008+ if I understand correctly for Macs and 2009+ for iPad/iPhone (iPhone 4s/iPad2).. BT 4.0 is even in iPhone 4, but I think they are excluding it from iOS 8.. Which is currently iOS7’s oldest supported phone right now.

• george264 says:

My early 2011 MBP works fine.

• David Berger says:

Really? early 2011 MBPs also habe BT 2.1+EDR…
        do I have to set this whole continuity stuff up on my Mac somewhere? How do I pair my Mac with my iPhone/iPad?
        Continuity works great between my iDevices but not on my Mac?!

• @David Berger

The continuity won’t work just yet. Your iPhone/iPad/iPod needs iOS 8 and your Mac OS X Yosemite. I’m a registered developer and have both Yosemite & iOS 8 and it does not work yet. The only think that works right now with continuity is iCloud Drive (That works like Dropbox).

They are both in really early stages, a lot of the features shown in the keynote won’t be useable or stable until the public beta in the summer (mid or late summer). Remember both operating systems are months away from release so stay patient and follow up on any updates :)

2. Horrible, horrible horrible. Could someone please fire this horrible man and stop his awful, inaccurate, information-poor videos from permeating the web.

I felt like ripping off my ears and stabbing myself in the eyes mere seconds into it.

3. Great Vid!…when does Apple Typically showcase new hardware?

4. Can u please tell whether we still have dashboard in YOSEMITE or not ??

5. scottpgallagher says:

Note that the ‘Hey Siri’ feature only works when the phone is charging…at least for now at least

6. Will reserve my final comments until I see it on my desktop, but I would like to keep my OSes separate – OSX / iOS. Make them compatible, similar, but I don’t want my iOS on my desktop. Nor do I want OS X on my iPhone if iOS 8 is going to require me to buy a new phone to run it.

7. Looks to be a major flaw/omission with new Calendar “Day View.” The previous Day View on the left side actually provided a “list view.” That now appears to be gone, which is a huge oversight and disappointment, much like the iPad version. Apple finally added “List view” back to the iPhone version in a recent update.

8. Moritz Zeman says:

Does anyone know, how I can setup the continuity feature in Yosemite?

9. Thanks for the clarification. Of course your video will not cross all the “t”s and dot all the “i”s because that’s Apple’s problem but you did a great job with the available information. Well done!

10. I have a question for Dom or any developer with Yosemite-does Safari still have an iCloud tab so you can view all of the windows you have open on other devices in Safari? I’ve found this to be handy in the past, so I’m hoping it still does.