Screen Shot 2014-06-17 at 10.04.02 AM

Alongside the second beta of iOS 8, Apple has provided an update to the OS X Yosemite Developer Preview. Yosemite brings many new features to the Mac, including a new design, Continuity features, and enhanced applications. We’ll update this post with new discoveries in the new preview as they are found. You can let us know what you find at tips@9to5mac.com.

Screen Shot 2014-06-17 at 10.42.46 AM

- PhotoBooth application has returned:

- The new Photo Booth and Screen Share icons:

- Screen sharing enhancements reported:

- New FileVault panel upon reboot.

Time Machine user-interface redesigned:

Screen Shot 2014-06-17 at 10.46.54 AM

- Handoff now works well:

Screen Shot 2014-06-17 at 11.20.09 AM

Finder no longer needs to be open to receive AirDrops from other devices:

Screen Shot 2014-06-17 at 1.28.13 PM

54 Responses to “Apple seeds update to OS X Yosemite Developer Preview”

1. Change log, pleaaase

2. 1.6 GB in size downloading now, sees the servers are getting hit hard as expected, looking at taking almost 1 hour to download

3. Is there any word on when the betas might be coming out to the general public beta testers?

4. Reblogged this on Taste of Apple and commented:
    Get downloading developers.

5. Photo booth is back.

6. i’m a public beta tester, when will it be available for me? does anybody know?

7. Raphael Fils says:

anyone else having Finder continuously relaunching?

8. iCloud folder seems to be working now, in my computer it shows textEdit, keynote and Preview folders.

9. Hey 9to5!

I just updated to OS X 10.10 DP2 and so far I noticed 2 fixes: 1st the quick reply for messages works correctly (used to switch to message app when quick reply-ing) 2nd my WIFI connect better/faster now (used to take forever when I put my mac to sleep and woke him up also leading to „no IP-Adress“ Errors etc)

And of corse its way faster it seems!

Greeting from Austria and keep up the good work !
    – @Georg_Schmo

10. New symbol if an app is using your locations?

11. Court Kizer says:

Menubar dark mode?

• No menubar dark mode. To enable dark mode try this:
      Enter to terminal and run this command: “sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences AppleInterfaceTheme Dark”.

12. For some reason i did not get the photo booth app with this update, anybody know why?

• I didn’t get it either. I don’t know why.

• I also did not get the photo booth app. However I believe I had a bad install on the update. Rebooted during the restart after the update because the bar was stuck at half way for over 10 minutes (after the installs took place). When booting back up App Store told me to re install some updates that failed, but no updates are available and it says that 1.0 was updated. Checked my build number and indeed it did not update. Still at build 14A238x… Might want to check to make sure your build is correct.. Sigh.. Novice mistake, learned. Appears I will have to wait for beta 3 to update.

13. Could someone who has installed 10.10 beta 2 check if VMWare Fusion (6) is running? It didn’t work in beta 1, so I had to go back to Mavericks…

• iwindon says:

The VMWare Fusion Technology Preview will more than likely be the one that starts working with Yosemite first. I would doubt that Fusion would just start working, as it would need to be something that VMWare changes in their code to do this. VMWare says the current preview (May) still does not work with Yosemite (however the program will launch, you just can’t start the VM). I would check back with them and as soon as it the new preview of VMWare is released see how that works. https://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/fusion/vmware-fusion-technology-preview-2014

• Wilbur Smith says:

Hello Folks,
      I just want to mention that I’m running OSX Yosemite Developer Preview 3 and Fusion Technology Preview July 2014.

So far everything seems to work well. My Bootcamp partition booted fine and seems responsive, even with the extra debugging enabled in both OSX and the Tech Preview.

This is running on my Macbook Air. For those interested, here are it’s specs:

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012)
      Processor 2 GHz Intel Core i7
      Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
      Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB
      Disk 500Gb Flash
      Guest OS: Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

I don’t use any stressful applications or do any development, so others experience may vary, but I’m pretty happy with how things are working.

-Wilbur

14. Andy Brooks says:

apple logo in menu bar is more grey and dull

15. - Share menu in extensions (new?)
    – open replacing installed in Mac App Store

16. No update showing up for me in App Store. :(

Or maybe that’s just my company’s crappy local update server.

17. For some reason i don’t have the photo booth app, can someone help ?

18. borntofeel says:

Notifications appearing in the Notification Center now show the time of reception.

19. still my imessage crashes

20. I really loved the space theme in the Time Machine screen… Going back in time, in tandem with traveling among the stars just logically fits. That’s one thing I really wouldn’t have changed. At all.

• Me too… I’m ok with the rid of the ‘skeumorphims’, polluted look, and alike… but really, the Time Machine space theme is really cool… wouldn’t touch that part… and if they do, just please leave the option of the classic look for those who prefer it…

21. Wikipedia entries showing up in search bar of safari

22. Repair Disk Permissions run again

23. Nate Washko says:

Mine actually will not download the update. Prompts me for the restart, but doesn’t restart or download the beta. Am I doing something wrong?

24. andreww500 says:

No more stars in Time Machine!? This cannot be.

25. andreww500 says:

Is it just me who really isn’t a fan of the new Photo Booth icon? It doesn’t fit in with the new icons at all. It works with iPhoto but that’s getting an update soon anyway…

26. Handoff still won’t work for me! What to do??

27. I have found Safari to be really buggy with YouTube. The videos I have watched have lost audio and the picture has also become scrambled making them unwatchable.

• thejuanald says:

Yeah, I stay away from Safari as much as possible, but I have been trying to use it to submit bugs since this is the preview, but it seems really, really buggy. Safari, as usual, is probably my only complaint so far.

28. thejuanald says:

I’m really enjoying Yosemite in the developer preview. It’s really a nice update so far.

29. Hello Guys,

I don’t see update to Yosemite in my app store, Why ?

regards

30. I have to be a developer to works handoff? I have a mac mini mid 2011 and iphone 5s with beta 2 and no works… My iphone registered with UDID only… THanks.

31. Just installed the latest beta update and now my computer does not restart. I get the main boot up scream with the apple and a loading bar. The bar gets close to finishing and then my computer turns off… what gives? How do I fix this problem?