Screen Shot 2014-06-23 at 2.39.31 PM

Pangu is a new untethered jailbreak tool for iOS 7.1 and 7.1.1 that was recently released for Windows. There’s no current ETA on an OS X version (OS X is now version available), but after some initial testing, we’ve determined this to be a legitimate tool for jailbreaking iOS 7.1 and up. The process does seem a bit shady, but we have yet to experience any issues with it. Pangu iOS 7.1-7.1.X jailbreak is compatible with all iOS 7 devices.

Keep in mind, this tool is from an unknown team and we’re unsure of the long-term reliability of the jailbreak and exploits used. Proceed at your own risk, but like I mentioned above, everything seems to be working as advertised…

First, you’ll need to head over to Pangu.io and download the jailbreak tool. At the moment, it’s only available for Windows, but there is a “Mac OS” button so it’s possible this version will be released in the near future. Follow the developer team on Twitter for updates. Before jailbreaking, it’s usually best to install a clean version of iOS. Either way, just make sure that you backup your device before continuing with this process.

Check out the video tutorial below for a closer look at the process:

Once you’ve downloaded the Pangu tool, you’ll need to adjust a couple of settings on your iOS device to make sure the process isn’t interrupted. Launch the Settings app on your device and tap on “General,” then head to “Date & Time” and turn off “Set Automatically.” Next, change the date to June 2, 2014. The date is a very important step and failing to properly reset it will prevent the jailbreak from moving forward.

sett

Once you’ve completed the steps above, launch the Pangu tool and allow it to detect your device (as seen in the image above). Remember, you should be running iOS 7.1 or 7.1.1 in order for this tool to jailbreak your device. Next, make sure that you’ve unchecked the box below the progress bar. This will ensure that no additional (third-party) software is installed during the jailbreak process aside from Cydia. Finally, click on the questionable “????” button on the right side of the tool’s window.

Screen Shot 2014-06-23 at 2.58.21 PM

About halfway through the process, you’ll notice that a new Pangu app has been installed on your device. Open the Pangu app and continue to allow the tool to work. The process should take about 5-10 minutes depending on your computer, but don’t touch your device until it has completed. The iOS device will reboot a couple of times near the end. For a visual reference, check out our video tutorial above.

Once the jailbreak has completed and your device has finished rebooting, you’ll have the ability to launch Cydia to prepare the file system and begin installing tweaks. As mentioned above, proceed with caution as we’re unsure of the long-term reliability of this jailbreak. Let us know if you run into any issues.

Update: Pangu has been updated for OS X and added English support. Check out the latest version here. Also version 1.1 adds English support for Windows.

47 Responses to “How to jailbreak iOS 7.1 and 7.1.x with Pangu (Video)”

1. Time doesn’t matter, I just changed the date and not the time and mine worked.

2. Ugh I can’t w8 until they put it for mac!

3. standardpull says:

Not only do we know the exploits used, but we also don’t know if any nefarious code is part of the jailbreak installation. It is quite reasonable for closed source software from an anonymous party to have the ability to secretly collect and transmit your passwords, keystrokes, and other sensitive data. It is also possible for such a party to enable the activation lock on your phone – either today, or any time in the future. You just don’t know.

Good jail breakers always publish their code so that others can compile it and make the executable. Why didn’t that happen here? We can only speculate. It doesn’t seem to be “profit from the software”, since it is freely available to run. It would also be trivial for Apple to learn their jailbreak method without code. So why hide?

Installing this is like leaving your keys in the ignition in a bad neighborhood while you go into the 7-11. You may get your Slurpee but there is a chance you’ll lose your car.

4. my 5s just boot loops after enjoy your jailbreak

5. Standardpull. I’m sure most, as I do, understand your point. A lot of us have our credit cards tied to our accounts on our iPads. At the same time, most people don’t bother looking at the source code of jailbreaks or roots even if it is open source. I’m sure most people don’t even bother looking at the comments of pages like this. They likely just do what the page says and then never return. What I will do:

Turn off my wifi
    Reset my ipad
    Make sure accounts are removed
    Use this jailbreak
    Then perform a variety of network scans

If there is a malicious code it will likely run a loop trying to communicate with it’s intended information collector. I’m sure someone will decompile this executable sooner or later and if there is any malicious code, it will eventually be uncovered. I, myself, don’t like to wait for my cake.

I’ll post back here if I find any unusual activity.

• standardpull says:

Yea most do not look at the source code. Maybe only 0.01% do. But they report what they find. It is pretty clear when that code is, for instance, purposefully nebulous or calling out to set up a socket to a 3rd party host.

Don’t underestimate the power of open source review. Not everyone needs to look. Only one in a million do.

6. My status bar hasn’t moved at all since i changed the date

7. My iPhone 4S wi-fi has been greyed out since I installed iOS 7. I searched for a solution over the internet and I was asked to heat the iPhone with a blow dryer. This didn’t work, however. Is there any possibility that if I jailbreak it, I can make my wi-fi work again?

8. Don’t touch this. Not open source = sheer stupidity.

9. Bryan Ruin says:

is this version can unlock iphone 4 baseband 04.12.09?

10. Shane Huynh says:

Mail app stops working after jailbreak. Precaution for everyone. If you know how to fix, let me know :)

11. I’ve got an iPhone 4. Reinstalled iOS 7.1.1 to try Pangu out. It never installs Cydia. I’ve tried 3 times.

12. Arpit Jain says:

error is coming while running the .exe file “pangu_v1.0.exe not valid win32 application “

13. Rahul Singh says:

jail break during warranty period, advisable?

14. Eric Gardner says:

Mind didn’t work, it got half way, it something on the pangu app the Question mark turn red, what does that mean?

• I think that error means you didn’t open the Pangu app on the phone fast enough after it appeared. I had zero issues with mine – other than not getting my stupid iCloud backup to restore, but I finally gave up and started fresh.

15. Nice. Works. Thanks

16. Toshi Tazawa says:

Noticed one strange behavior. After Jailbreaking with Pangu, it appears the process discarded my Google Chrome app. Even more strange is that I cannot install Chrome as neither “Install” or “Free” button you expect to see on the App store application is present.

17. Mico Emad says:

after i jailbroken my iphone 4 i opened the cydia app and then its always restart and stop on the apple logo and then restart again can any one help me

18. Ammar Ahmad says:

I tried it on my ipad mini after jailbreaking its not installing any 3rd party app …. and ifunbox says its jailed us

19. I keep getting this error when the bar is half full: Pangu_v1.0.exe has stoped working. And then pangu just closes. How to fix? Im trying to jb on iphone 4.

20. I have a windows computer but without itunes the jailbreak tool doesn’t detect my ipad is it because of that?

21. My phone will reboot but when I check it’s Pangu not Cydia

22. Onath Zevlag says:

my cydia was missing after i restore my back up..how can i get my cydia?

23. there’s a red questionmark in pangu. it never full the status bar and i didnt have cydia when it rebooted pls help me..ipad 2..

24. Kmb Njb says:

Thanks….worked just fine.

25. No problems here so far. Been jailbroken on 7.1 for a few days on it and everything works fine. In my opinion if someone made this to steal you’re info from you’re phone they really went out of their way to make sure the jailbreak works properly lol.

26. i get 4 red question mars any ideas?

27. I jailbroke my iPhone 4S today and it was working perfectly fine. I just synced some music from itunes to my phone and now cydia and some of my other apps are gone. I can search for the apps, but the app won’t open, a message pops up saying “unsupported URL”. Can someone please tell me how I can fix this because I cant see my messages or even call anyone.

• If your using the first version with all the questions mark…a.k.a non English version, then rejailbreak because it fixes most problems like app disappearing… And it would be smart that before you rejailbreak it, once you’ve restored the iPhone, sync the music from iTunes to your phone

28. Barna Szalai says:

Hi, for those who have iPhone 4 (not S) and had the error “Time out” at the end, I tried 3 times, and the 3rd attempt succeed. Strange but true, Cydia icon appeared.

29. it wont stop loading recources, why is that?